1200 Chain And Sprockets?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AirCon, Apr 13, 2015.

1. After just 13K miles my chain has become knackered.
    A small bolt that holds on the upper chain guard has become loose and knocked the shit out to the chain / bolt. Pics to follow.

The long and short is I need to replace.
    I've used the legendary Ducati forum search and read all the relevant documents under the Multistrada forum.

Now I need a lie down...
    Way too much conflicting information.

What is the current wisdom on a road only using (medical reasons) MTS1200 2013 PP rider for his chain and sprocket requirements. Not interested in +140Mph speed, nor +35K mileage...just reliable good looks with great acceleration.

I'm fed up with the iron oxide red all over my rear wheel (chain lubed after every ride) and want a quality chain (no rust) and a good sprocket set.

I await your enormous collective wisdom.

2. +1 for this question, standard equipment is now shagged after 17k. Been looking at DID 530zvmx but not sure on the sprocket front.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DID heavy duty jobbie.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Please, any more?

5. I went DID 530ZVXM 110 links with a 42 tooth rear Supersprox. The extra two links combined with the extra teeth will put your chain adjuster about where it is for stock. I didn't change the size on the front as I felt the rear gave me enough compromise. 6th gear is now usable and less of an 80mph+ "over drive". it also makes low speed more manageable and the pick up better , but not overly feisty for the traffic light grand prix.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kept standard sprockets but stuck on a DID ZVM X ring chain before my Scandinavia trip last year.
    After returning home I check the tension and it hadn't moved during the whole trip. 3,000 miles 2 up touring.

Well impressed - so much better than the standard Ducati spaghetti offering.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. I went DiD gold 530 zvxm standard teeth rear superprox and 1 tooth less on front, much better acceleration and when travelling around town find it happy to sit around 30mph in 3rd. Copied AndyW look but love it :)

IMAG0966.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I thought the standard Ducati chains were O-ring DID-50VZV, so don't get the 'spaghetti' reference above?

My first lasted 19k although it was well past its sell by date and at 23k, the second one has only needed adjusting once. Admittedly they don't look so flash compared to coloured ones, but that is only the link plates - the red dust must come from the link plate to roller pin contact points?

Just looked on the DID site and it appears the chain I have doesn't exist anymore?

#8 nsm3, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

9. Its a Regina chain. My experience with them is that you are better off with knicker elastic.

Drive chain from gearbox to rear wheel:.
    Make: REGINA
    Type: 136ZRPB
    Size: 5/8” x 1/16”
    Links: 108

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Ok - Mine is definitely a DID 50VZV fitted by Duc Wolv and they said they only stock the standard chains, but perhaps the first was a Regina, can't remember - It still managed 19k though?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. currently 15/42 and very happy...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Thanks everyone for the great advice.:)
    I'll be placing my orders tomorrow.
    Pictures and invoice/ sources to follow for anyone else going this route.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Surely that 1/16" should be 7/16"?

14. It's a paste from the online manual.

15. And a 530 is 5/8" x 3/8"

16. I have just booked mine in after 11k miles, £300 plus fitting, was slightly blown away!!! I commute everyday on my 2014 PP, so possibly the low down 1st-3rd gear stop start of the daily commute has aged mine a little faster?

17. C&S kit on fleabay, AFAM sprockets and DID heavy duty chain for £207.

18. ..and if going 15/42 be bloody mindful not to crack the throttle open in Sport, or Touring or even Urban, until you've become accustomed to the change of gearing.

You'll know what I mean shortly :)...

Up, Up and AWAYYYYYYYYY

19. I went down one tooth on the front after reading a study into loading on side plates at various points in the chain loop. It turns out that on the driving gear, the plates are only in tension on the first two teeth, thereafter they are as slack as the bottom run and the same goes for the driven gear. To my mind this negated the worry of less driving teeth = more wear. Just got it sorted yesterday so can't wait for first ride

Do Not Sell My Personal Information