Change to track noise testing?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by 1037sps, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Well as another standard Ducati failed the noise test, and the general consensus is that its the testers and not the bikes that are at fault, isn't it time we the riders did something about it.
    Most circuits, if not all circuits, in the UK need our money just as much as we like to use them when we can.
    This could do with going out to a bigger audience but shouldn't we partition to get ride by noise tests as the accepted method of measuring bikes?
    Silverstone has such a good system that they can tell which bike amongst a group is making all the racket. I know this is a bit much for smaller places but having the noise meter at the fastest/hardest accelerating part of the track can't be that hard.
    Yes UK days are a cheap way to legally thrash your bike, but it's an expensive waste of a day if you're not allowed on because you're brand new/mot'd bike fails a noise test.
    Please let me know you're thoughts guys and gals. No we can't annoy the people who buy their houses right next to a race track then moan about the noise, but we can't give up our passion and start using the roads as a track either. The Police and Government should support our cause as they don't want us abusing the roads at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. And that's what db killers are for! But on a serious note my bike always registers louder at Oulton than Cadwell by between 2-4db!

3. As much as I agree with you, I think you're flogging a dead horse. This is the only subject on here that really frustrates me. The endless 'will I pass' 'how loud is xxx with termis' etc.

a noise test is only relevant to the moment in time and place it was taken as there are so many variables that can affect the result.

You have the ACU guide lines applied at MSV circuits, but testers, that from some reports seem to do their own thing at times.
    Donnington and silverstone have their ride-by's, but at 105/98db and 102db respectively. Then castle doom that is a 105db static at 3/4 of full rpm. No parity across the board at all.

I agree that there should be a 'standard' across the board, but the biggest influence is the councils who set the limits. At the end of the day all these circuits are a business, and are going to bend over backwards to their local authorities so they can stay in business.

I think soon Db killers will be mandatory, or worse standard exhausts only.

spain is the answer. No limits!!

4. We all know that the circuits have to protect themselves from the local yocals so yes standard cans or db killers are very likely to become mandatory as my name sake has mentioned above
    I was advised by one of the staff at Brands that its always a good idea to note down your scores from track to track. My 1098 on standard cans scored 97 last time and 99 the time before that. At Snetterton, I was measured as 103 and 102 under the same conditions
    I cant see a way of really improving the current forma, but maybe each bike could be independently tested at the start of every season, with a certificate and everything, which each circuit will need to see. Subsequent random noise tests of bike that look noisy, ie Arkras with no baffles on an R1 and if they are found be significantly over, say 5db, then the riders have to sort the problem before being let out on track

5. The only place my 853 fails is Silverstone.....................:rolleyes:

6. I'm quite lucky as i've got a really well thought out system on my SPS, it's an Akra Evo system with 60mm pipe work, but the cans are a couple of inches longer than standard, and taper down their length to 50mm at the exit. Even without DB killers i can squeek through 102 limits, always pass a ride by and even blipping upto the limiter like the fool i am i've only seen 109 static.
    I just really feel sorry for people on standard road legal bikes getting told, thanks for your money but you can't go out, usually because the guy with the meter isn't testing consistently.
    The councils want the taxes from the circuits and the revenue they bring in from race events, so if people stop going to track days the circuits ultimately will close and everyone loses out. The tragic thing is, the taxes lost from the circuit, will end up coming from the residents who moaned about the noise in the first place.

7. Hang on, so if you don't pass the tracks refuse you access but keep your money?

8. No refunds, it's the owners responsibility to ensure their bike is within the limits

9. With stock road legal bikes failing (or that pass at other tracks) there has to be some kind of consumer protection issue there, surely?

10. ^ Nope, tracks are governed by their licenses from the local council which are usually based on MSA and ACU regulations although some like Castle Coombe have much stricter standards, your road bike is governed by EU regs and the two don't align.

11. I'm not saying there's a consumer issue because you're not let on, but if they deny you access do they have a legal right to keep your money?

12. How often is the noise meter calibrated?

13. These are all valid points.

surely if somebody is to refuse you entry AND keep your money, calibration certification should be on hand and I'd probably of thought a predefined way of exactly how the bike would be tested?

14. The tracks know that their customers help them stay in business. They will try and help you out, but if the bike you bring is clearly too loud, its not a case of not wanting to let you out, legally, they cant

15. Yes, it's in the terms and conditions of booking that you accept when you book. The onus is on the owner to do everything they can to make the bike pass.

16. If they deny you access and keep your £150 on the basis of the terms and conditions in the contract, you could sue them for your £150 back arguing that the contract terms are unfair. The claim might or might not succeed at law, depending on the terms and how exactly you are arguing the unfairness arises. But let's be realistic here - who is going to bother suing for £150? It would cost a lot more than the £150 to make the claim and pursue it. And even if you succeeded, you might find they would not want to accept any more bookings from you ever again. The only realistic options are to bend over and think of England, or install a baffle.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information