V2 Changing Gearing

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by manicguitarist, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Has anyone changed the gearing on their V2?

I’m considering dropping a tooth on the front sprocket.

I don’t need 170mph, but more acceleration and power wheelies are a good thing.

All that said…I find already in 2nd I’m hitting the rev limiter way too often and dropping a tooth would make it worse…or would I be in 3rd by that point?

So yeah…anyone done this?

Thoughts? Observations?

2. Dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket is a very common mod on almost the entire range and you don’t need to alter the chain length. Done it on my Multistrada and a Diavel and yes, you are likely to be in third. Andy

3. Cheers dood.
    I’m told it’ll stress the chain? What’s your view? I guess I’m asking that as I’m already looking at the chain as my V2 is my highest torque bike of my 3 bikes, but even my 400cc bike has a bigger chain than the V2.

Also…recommendations as to where to get a -1 front sprocket?

4. Excuse my bluntness, utter bollocks. 40 some odd thousand miles on my Multistrada and no issues. 30 some odd thousand miles on a Diavel and no issues. Sprockets have become a bit of an issue over recent months with retailers out of stock and supplies taking ages to arrive. Most common name is Renthal available from people like B&C Express. My dealer keeps the most common sizes in stock, yours might too. Andy

5. Cheers dood!

6. Agree with above, nothing to worry about. Your right hand will stress the chain more (or less) than the gearing will make any difference, and I wouldn’t worry about that either!

I’ve just had a 14t and 15t front Renthal for my V2 delivered this week from wscperformance.co.uk, he’s a sponsor of mine but he knows his Ducati parts as he looks after a couple of guys in the TriOptions cup so I’d point you in his direction personally

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I don't know either way, but I've read adding 2 teeth on the rear is better than removing 1 on the front for chain life. How do Ducati change the gearing on the 1299R compared to the base/S?

8. -1 tooth on the front is roughly equivalent to +2 1/2 on the rear so will represent a slightly bigger change.

+2 on the back will shorten your wheel base and increase your ride height, -1 on the front will do the opposite, assuming you’re keeping the standard chain length.

shorter wheelbase + increased ride height = faster steering and less stability, and the opposite, the opposite, so might be worth taking that into account also

9. I thought you need a longer chain with 2 extra teeth on the rear?

10. I’ve not run our V2 yet but on the 959 (and any other bike I’ve raced) we raced last year you could run anything from a 41t to a 45t rear on the same chain length, but, you change the wheel base as you adjust the rear wheel back and forward to accommodate the smaller or bigger sprocket. On the single sided swing arm bikes that also changes your ride height due to the way the rear hub moves.

So yes you could add two teeth to the standard rear sprocket on the standard chain, but if you want to retain the same wheel base then you’d need to run a longer chain

Do Not Sell My Personal Information