Changing The Starter Motor

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Pavey, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Is the a hard job for someone who is not the best mechanic but willing to give it a go?

Do I need any special tools? I have been told I will lose a lot of oil doing it, but if you lean the bike over you don't? Is this advised?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

2. Why do you need to change it?

3. The current one is just whirring and not clunking which I've been told is the solenoid not doing what it should.

4. If the starter is turning, the solenoid is doing its job. Could it be the sprag clutch?
    Steve

5. Agree,and as far as I am aware the solenoid is a separate component from the the starter motor, I would try a new relay first. ..might save a lot of time and money ;)

#6 yellowducmaniac, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  6. The starter motors are pretty reliable, 999 is renound for doing the sprag. If you do want to do the starter you will have to remove the alternator side casing as there is a allen bolt only accessible by taking the cover off.

7. It's just making a whirr, is that correct? It was (for the past week) whirring and then it would come to life, the engine would turn and it would start.

Currently it just whirrs for ever.

8. I don't even know what a sprag clutch is

9. The solenoid is a heavy duty switch that sends power to the starter, if the starter is whirring then the solenoid is doing its job, the starter is connected to the engine via the sprag clutch which in your case is most likely the problem.
    Steve

10. Sounds like the sprag clutch for the starter gear has given up.

brian.

11. Yep, sounds like the sprag. Just had mine done a couple of weeks ago...is the clutch spinning at all?

Kit is around £250 plus labour....:Facepalm:

12. I've been advised to get another oil change done in about 100 miles to make sure the filter has picked up all the swarf too..

13. Its not an easy job as the parts that have to come off need special tools and the flywheel nut is tight . 270Nm to torque it back up .

14. Thanks all. I'll have a hunt around for a sprag clutch; any pointers? Is there a particular brand to go for?

15. Yes Ducati..

Also get the gear wheel as well no point just doing the sprag just to put it all back together and 3 weeks later its doing the same again

16. I had to change the starter motor on my 749, wasn't too difficult and didn't need any special tools. Also needed a new sprag clutch on my 996S this year. Decided I'd leave that to my mechanic friend. As mentioned the alternator nut which needs to be removed is 270nm torque, you need a special holder tool to remove it and a torque wrench capable of 270nm. I had neither hence decided not to do it myself.

@Pavey I'd recommend getting the sprag clutch done by a mechanic whose got these tools unless you have them or can borrow them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information