Cheddar Gorge - Somerset

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by Dubs, Dec 11, 2013.

1. ...Just seen a pic there from DrSFS here http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f2/streetfighter-gallery-64/index2.html#post99949

Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, looks pretty good.

Could be on on the cards maybe next yr for a weekend.

Who's been there ? Is it worh tthe trip ?

We'd basically get a ferry from Rosslare ( 2 hr ride from Dublin ) to Fishguard, Wales. Then its 3 hrs down there to the gorge. Be a good spin..?

wha say you, any thoughts?

:biggrin:

cheddar_MG_2055.jpg

cheddar_MG_2055.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've been there a few times recently because of work. There are better roads IMO. It's full of flat capped and blue rinse drivers driving at 10mph that would make any ride tortuous.

3. Decent roads...if early enough to miss the thousands of tourists every day! Not that long either tbh

4. I live in Taunton so do this area fairly regularly. The gorge is good fun very early in the morning but you need to be prepared for coaches and day trippers. Together with other roads in the area it makes for a good ride-out. I'd urge you to venture a little further westward though and try to include The North Devon coast and Exmoor in your run.

• Like Like x 3
  5. It's ok but you can't really go fast - too many tourists. If you're in Wales, I'd stay there and ride the A483 all day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clarified for any non whippet speakers......

as Dave says , there are other longer routes, on exmoor or along north Devon coast, or indeed in Wales ( bring your wet weather gear) that are more complete and involving, than making a trip purely for the gorge. That said its amusing to ride up and watch the nutters climbing the walls.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheddar is incredibly picturesque but so short and crowded not worth the miles for your trip out.

Snowdonia is a whole heap of fun.

and Exmoor is brilliant as Dave said, I love the A396 from Dunster all the way down the Exeter.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The twisty bit can't be more than a mile. that can seem like 10 though when you get stuck behind tourists and a few coaches whilst rating to avoid the people walking in the road. Not worth the tRip just for the gorge.

9. Its worth a visit though if your that way
    I have only driven it but it is populated with slow drivers taking in the scenery
    It is an amazing drive but not a long one.

10. Agree but not if it is your sole focus for a weekend. It isn't far from Burrington Combe, another short gorge that has less traffic. Head for Wales, the roads to Abergavenny are really good.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thanks folks...

Some good suggestions above.

What we'd be looking it is maybe passing through there but more focus to the roads as mentioned above A483, Exmoor, nth Devon & Abergavenny etc.

Will post up early next yr when we're heading over.

tks !

:upyeah:

12. Great. We will know when to avoid the area then :upyeah:

13. be carefull ....you'll have a whole herd of Ducatis trailing you round :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1

14. Good man Nigel...:biggrin:

....:upyeah:

15. Heavy snow in January, heat wave by early march though.

16. Wrong thread!

#16 TT600, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Agreed also :)
    Abergavenny and surrounding have fantastic roads my local haunt
    Ride up to North Wales horse shoe pass etc
    Worlds your oyster

18. The A835 Ullapool to Conon for me. Love that road.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information