Choice Of New Ducati

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Nicolas Andersen, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Hi there

I am asking the value in either a 899 (2014) vs a 959 (2018) vs a 1199 (2012)

all are around the same cost

not looking to track the bike but enjoy some decent rides ride around 30 miles country lanes and motorways 4 days a week for work.

just any advice on what you think will be best option - basically have the budget for 12k and can get a good version of any of these - came from a 749 s years ago and then cbr1000rr - but happy for advice or things the watch out for

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome. Personally, having had both the 899 and 959 and having ridden the 1199, I’d go with the 959. Improved everything over the 899 and a better “commuter” than the 1199 as it’s not as harsh.

Just my 2p worth :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welcome to the forum Nicolas.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. You say 12k, the V2 starting to get into that bracket or close too and has a few more features.

I have ridden most Panigales now, sadly other than an 1199, have a V2 as a road bike, and 959 as a track bike - personally found the 959 better than the 899 but there are allot of people on here that prefer the 899 so partly down to preference.

I prefer the smaller twins, can use more of the power more of the time and its more than enough for the road. This is all going to depend on your commute, no panigale is fun in traffic, but the smaller twins are better than the big twins in my opinion for traffic. But then to counter that, there isnt much handling difference, the bigger ones get you from slow to very fast that little bit quicker so thats just preference really.

The bigger ones seem to hold a bit more value if resale is you thing

• Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome into our mad house :)

6. Welcome and enjoy.

7. welcome nicolas, enjoy the choice you make

8. In your opening sentence, did you mean V4, as V2s have been below 12k for a long time, paid 9k for mine 5 years ago...

9. Took me a minute there to work out but based on age you mention can only assume you are thinking V2 as in engine configuration? (Lets not have hte V / L chat here :thinkingface: )

Was referencing the model "Panigale V2" (959 successor) which I got one of the first batch in May 2020 so close to 3 1/2 years now

10. Yep, my mistake, apologies, but an easy one to make

11. This may be shallow but i just cannot get past the exhaust of the 959 and the 899 not having a single sided swingarm.
    I know they're both great bikes and better suited to the road than the 1199, but...

12. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks

14. No I also agree on the aesthetics

15. So ti throw a spanner i the works what about the 2016 - 1299 as it has the corner and as standard ?

16. Thank you and makes sense

17. My advice/personal preference would be the 899 and some lightweight wheels with the £ left over.
    Depends how big you are though too I guess. If you’re on the larger side you may find it doesn’t suit as much as the 1199 might.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Just to add I commuted for best part of 6 years on my old 899 in all weathers. Although it had the potential to be the best part of my day it was more often the worst, the service costs used to fry my head and you can put as much acf 50 on your pride and joy but it still ages visibly in front of your eyes.
    Beware and/or consider a daily hack if budget permits.
    Tyres too. Make sure you’re prepared to change those every three months and for them to be squared off already when you go out for a weekend blat lol.

19. That was my challenge am 6’3 and fit ok on the bike but am muscular shape at 20 stone so that’s where the 1199 could be a better fit

thanks

20. Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information