Cleaning Emergency!

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Kirky, Apr 8, 2013.

1. I had an unfortunate problem last year while in Italy. I had a can of Tyreweld packed under the seat and it went off when I put the pillion seat back on. It was of great amusement to all! (except me).

I still have stains on the textured black metal rack and surrounding parts and cannot shift it. I have used a number of regular cleaning solutions even with a toothbrush = fail. Also used turps and petrol, still no good.

I don't want to risk damaging the finish so have decided to tap into the vast database of cleaning expertise that resides on this site (Andyw for one!).

Advice appreciated.

2. Evo-stik adhesive cleaner. gets off stuff petrol dont. Test a small sq meter first though. :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

#2 peter james, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. When I worked in the PCB assembly industry, we used Microcare Tidy Pen (Google it) to remove stubborn adhesive residues. Always seemed to work - but quite expensive.

4. According to Holts, the product is water based, have you tried hot soapy water first?

5. 3m adhesive remover, use it all the time for lots of jobs.

6. That was my first serios effort on Saturday with a toothbrush. All looked good, until it dried....

Adhesive remover seems to be the next WMD to try.

Thanks

7. could I use this on the fabric on my DP seat?

8. Oh mate I wouldn't like to say , since I discovered this for cleaning paint off of plastic window frames (got to wax them after though) I use it for loads of stuff.
    i have an old bit of grey alCantara if that's the same material as a DP seat, I could briskly rub some over it to let you know if it affects the material

9. The DP seat is like neoprene. I'm going to try some really hot water and a light scrub first and take it from there.

10. I used this to get some glue residue off a wood floor in Harrods, it's alittle like meths. It's good but If you use too much in one go Likley to take the finish off. Certainly changed the finish of the wood slightly. Maybe try this also ,worth a shot
    www.autofinesse.co.uk/oblitarate/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information