Cleaning Steel Fart Tubes

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by freshage, Jan 4, 2024.

1. I have the full race Termi system on my MTS 1260, sadly, only the end can is titanium, the pipes are steel, matching the OEM header pipes.

I don't have a spare kidney to sell on the black market to cover the cost of the proper full titanium race system, so instead I want to try and tidy up the pipes. What is the best method for this? Remove them all and polish on the bench? Or is there some crazy liquid that will save me the hassle?

2. Harpic 10X worked well on my decat link pipe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Be aware, that should you choose to remove the headers, the exhaust studs are very easily snapped. Plenty of info in posts on here how to approach that job. I found a little backstreet work shop offering polishing and a 748R full system cost £35. At that price I couldn’t be arsed to do it myself. Not sure if Amsterdam is similarly blessed with old fashioned engineers. That said, there’s plenty of info in posts on here about polishing. Andy

4. Didn't think of looking for a shop near by who would do the work! Plenty of home engineers in Fairly land :D

As for the studs, I've heard they can be tricky, will take my time and read up on methods used. Thanks mate

5. +1 for getting somebody else to do it. Nasty dirty work - best pay and subcontract the job!

6. BE AWARE.... it will damage some other painted/finished surfaces and some other metals e.g. chrome and aluminium.

• Like Like x 2
  7. A very good point, thanks Andy.

I forgot to say that I had removed the link pipe before working on it:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harpic 10x (and any other cleaner containing Hydrochloric acid) will effectively stop a stainless steel exhaust from being stainless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information