Colditz Castle

Discussion in 'Touring' started by DonaldDuc, Apr 3, 2016.

1. I am considering a trip from London to Colditz Castle in Germany on the bike. I have checked Google maps and it looks like 2 days to get there. Can anyone say if it is a nice ride out that way? (I might just go in my campervan or fly)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Any route in Germany is worth riding, unless full on just get there fast autobaan

And its not much more than an hr or two from FRance to the border

3. I've always wanted to visit Colditz! A good mate of mines father (US Bomber Crew) had the displeasure of being a guest for 2 and a half years after being shot down on a daytime bombing mission and imprisoned at several other POW camps,escaping and getting recaptured a few times and being a general nuisance and pain in the Arse to the Germans.

4. I went to Colditz in the '80s when it was the old East Germany, spent quite a bit of time in the area. Roads were a bit run down then but probably been improved now? either way there will be plenty of good routes on the way.

At the time I went there the castle wasn't open to the public, I believe it was being used as a mental hospital?

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you use the autobahn it's an easy one day ride on a bike.

Once you've seen the castle spend the next afternoon at Augustusburg castle (it's under an hour from Colditz) and go round the bike museum if only to see the technology that Suzuki stole and changed the face of Japanese 2 strokes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information