Colour matching panels.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by cheekymonkey, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Hi, further to my accident last week, I was wondering.... if I bought good secondhand panels off the Bay (yellow) are they likely to match each other?

I ask because I once had a Triumph T595 in yellow, and then found out that they didn`t actually make two bikes the same shade! I was hoping Ducatis are more consistent.

Anyone got any experience good or bad?

Thanks.

2. For Gods sake we're talking Italian bikes here. I'm amazed they manage to make two bikes the same :wink:

3. Just had to replace the RHS panel on my yellow 748, because I forgot to put the two belly pan dzus fasteners in..........:frown:

Anyway bought the two pieces separately on the bay. The top half is a perfect match. The bottom half is an ever so slightly brighter shade. This could be because it was 'new' old stock and hasn't faded.

On the bike you can't really tell unless you look very hard.

4. I have only experience of painting red panels and i have in the past painted a few panels for members on here. Generally the red matches quite easily. I have noticed a difference in the yellow though as I have painted yellow panels red for some people and noticed the ones supplied did vary, some being much darker than others

The best thing is to compare the panel to a paint chip\s in your local supplier and see how much variance there is or how many shades are available. For Rosso red there are only two shades available in the ICI scheme one for earlier bikes and a brighter red for the later 2000 on models (I believe)

5. Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for the late reply, been away for a few days. I spoke with a guy who paints cars and bikes and he say`s yellow is notoriously tricky to match.
    Anyway, have gone and bought a fairing panel so I`ll soon see! My tank will need painting, so I`ll see what I can do!.....when I get the cast off my arm!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information