Coming Soon, Metzeler Roadtec 02

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Android853sp, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Following a link posted in one of my other threads, I found this, https://twotyres.co.uk/product/metzeler-roadtec-02/. I know Metzeler is not the tyre of choice for some but in an anorak sort of way, I found their manufacturing strategy to move away from fossil and mineral based raw materials, an interesting concept.

The other emerging trend I find interesting is a manufacturer offering a tyre focussed on the modern generation of hyper performance bikes that riders use for touring but have sports bike capabilities. At least one manufacturer seems to think this sector still has mileage :D

I found the Metzeler Roadtec 01SE worked extremely well on my 1st generation Multistrada 1200 and suited my needs so I’ll be fitting the Roadtec 02 at some stage next year to the V4 PP and see if the company’s claims can be substantiated in the real world. Andy

#1 Android853sp, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I can see why manufacturers are looking for alternatives to natural rubber.
    For some time the market price for rubber has been too low, and the way the rubber industry is set up has resulted in many rubber tree plantation owners not making enough income to live a decent standard of life.
    Many plantation owners are chopping down their rubber trees to plant more lucrative crops (like palm oil).
    It looks like there will be a point where the global demand for natural rubber will exceed supply!

3. I really like the Roadtec 01 SE as they warm up really quickly - the tyre profile is right for my kind of riding. Definitely interested in the new version.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Interesting! I didn't realise motorcycle tyres used such high volumes of synthetic materials!
    The data I read stated tyre manufactures account for 70% of the worlds production of natural rubber!
    I assume tyres that are less performance oriented use more natural rubber.

5. What sort of mileage you get out of the Metzeler Roadtec 01SE? I've been looking at them but i've had zero issue with the Pirelli's the my Multi V4S came with from new. I'm debating if to try the Metzeler's or stick with what I know....

6. Good luck with getting 6k to 8k miles out of a back tyre on a Multi V4 :)

7. I got approx 6500 from the stock Pirelli’s, I reckon I can get them to 8k easy.

8. I’m not the person to ask about mileage from tyres as I’ll change them with a full 2mm of tread still left. I’ve never been one to let the tyres get to the wear indicator on anything I ride or drive. Back in the day, a Pirelli BSB lasted 800 miles on my 748R :joy:. The 01SE’s comfortably give 4000 to 4500 miles by which time the front is so stepped, the tyres are changed as a pair. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. this will be controversial, but the fact your tyres are stepped isn’t a normal wear factor, it’s because you are running the wrong pressures or the suspension set up is wrong, for example too little rebound damping causing the tyre to chop across the road surface and roll the tread. Well set up suspension shouldn’t do this….

on the tyre front, as many are realising, tyres have been using more and more man made material for years, specifically silica is used as it is good for wet weather grip, however they are indeed trying to remove reliance on carbon black, which is used even more heavily in race tyres, hence come eye watering prices for V02 slicks and Pirelli SC slicks over the last years.

I can see why the Roadtec would be tempting on a multi, but personally even though I’ve ridden mainly Ducati sports bikes, I just have never had positive experiences with anything other than Pirelli. Not sure if it’s Pirelli’s super soft carcass construction or what, but I’ve got metzelers (even though they are the same factory) on my Ducati now and I hate them

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Perhaps all tyres have a farty amount of natural rubber content but billions of them made each year adds up to 70%.

I had them fitted to a Cagiva V-Raptor, not much bhp but plenty of ft/lb, and was lucky to see much more than 4K out of the rear before it had squared off.
    I think tyres are such a personal 'feel' thing as I can't believe, for road tyres at least, there is a great deal of difference in their individual inherent capabilities.

I went the other way from the RoadTecs to Pirellis and the latter are perfectly good enough (for me) but for some reason I don't find them anywhere as near as confidence inspiring as the Metzelers. Especially in the cold & wet.

• Like Like x 2
  11. You have known me long enough :joy: my 1200 has Óhlins electronic suspension, professionally set up by the chap who used to be at Silverstone. My front tyre steps because of my riding style, I push the front of the bike hard and ride very little mileage on long straight roads. I’m comfortable with the wear as it is “normal” for me :D Andy

12. I've also heard it being said that a stepped front tyre can be caused by the natural curve/camber of the road, from the middle to the edge.

13. I’m a big fan of the01 SE from my time with a 1260 PP. However I’m finding the Diablo Rosso’s on my V4 PP fantastic and they’re wearing pretty reasonably too. Do you prefer the Metzelers to the Diablos?

14. On short acquaintance (2 rides), I have not gelled with the Rosso 4. It has been suggested to me that it is not a tyre for cold weather which, as a year round rider, isn’t for me. I have a spare set of M7RRs which I’ll put on for comparison. Andy

15. Yeah I’m an all weather rider and was very wary of the Rossos but so far they’ve been pretty faultless for me

Do Not Sell My Personal Information