1098 Cooler Headlight Options

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Dokus, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Hello

My 1098 just decided to burn it's h11 headlight bulb and connector for main beam. After taking a 40 min ride in 6+ C weather after replacement I notice my headlights are burning hot.

Light output is nice but not super important. I'm looking mainly for headlight options which are cooler so I won't have the same issue. After googling I'm non the wiser.

I'm having no name h11 bulbs in the bike right now. Is brands like Osram night breaker cooler? Or should I go with hid or led conversion?

Many thanks for steering me in the right direction

• Like Like x 1
  2. the connector burn-out is fairly common even with std bulb, and you've reminded me to check mine. Light (npi) corrosion on the connector is all it takes to make it start to run hot, eventually causing a melt-down if undetected.

• Like Like x 1
  3. True, I should go over and clean all the wiring. This new connector also gets super hot. Does not hid and led run cooler or I am misunderstading?

4. now this is an area that you have got me on, hence no comment - hope someone else does (comment) but I do know that some bulbs using a later technology don't run any cooler despite some claims, so be careful. I remember seeing a Range Rover in the last 5 years with the front burnt out, and you could clearly see that it had started at the headlamp.

5. Worth checking it has stock wattage bulbs in. I've seen a couple of bikes with completely fried wiring due to having 100W lamps fitted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. True, in this case they a 55w. Don't know the real brand tough since they are rebranded for a local Swedish store.

Which brand do you use and how is your heat? After my 40 min ride yesterday I could not touch the back of the light without getting burned.

7. For replacement, just a regular quality unit like a Bosch or Hella etc. For an upgrade, I usually go for Nightbreakers.
    Haven't bothered with HID or LED tbh. They very rarely have the correct focus for the lens.
    Rather than looking for a "cooler" lamp, I'd suggest looking at the bigger picture. If you have stock lamps, then there shouldn't be a problem. Other than higher rated lamps, I've not really come across any such issues, and I've seen a lot of 1098/1198's. Something is causing the issue and just getting a cooler lamp is putting a sticking plaster over the problem.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks. I've seen them. They gave me the impression that burning bulbs was more like a factory defect. If it's not then all I can think of is bad connections, corrosion or broken wires since I have no other issues so I will go over the bike and clean everything. Night breakers sounds like a good idea. I report back with findings.

9. Took a longer ride today, two hours. No stops. Bulb fairly cold. Cold weather though, 6c. The mystery continues...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information