Crash protectors on a monster?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by chucklepie, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hello,
    I'm toying with the idea of crash bungs (of the trellis mount kind, not wheel). Anyone got any thoughts? I rang my local friendly garage about fitting them (I don't have a torque wrench and worry about the engine dropping) and he kind of said depending on the situation they can cause more damage due to them creating a focal point and they're more of use for the drop at the petrol station or wheeling it into the garage.

My worry, on the other hand, is how they'll look and how much a new tank or engine case would cost :)

I'm also looking at front fork protectors but I can't actually visualise how they protect anything as I can see the handlebars stopping the wheel from skidding across the tarmac.

2. Fitted them to both of our monsters and its fair to say that they saved the M750 in a low speed drop (20mph to30mph) over the summer. If you look at 90% of BSB bikes and the support race bikes they are all running them. The bungs saved the cases, tank, pipes frame etc. The only damage was bent bars and the gear lever. I'd be breaking what was left of the bike if it hadn't been for the bungs.

Fitting is a "doddle". Just use the new bolt to drive out the old one and the motor won't drop, and do it up tight. Do grease the bolt when you fit it thought. Bought the R&G ones for both bikes. Prob fair to say the best upgrade you can make IMO.

3. Got any pictures? :)

What about the exhaust side, the R&G one looks pretty big and the exhaust is very close to the mount point?

Cheers.

4. I'm not too sure which Monster you have but the exhaust on the S4R and M750 isn't anywhere near the crash bung. I'll see what I have in the way of photos

5. Here's mine, you put them in the bottom bolt right next to the exhaust. I guess they wouldn't make them if they didn't fit :)

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

6. Ah you have an Evo, can't imaging the heat transfer would melt the bungs, just look at the rest of the plastic around the area.

Poor photo of the S4R with crash bung fitted:

[​IMG]

Don't have a photo of the M750 with the crash bungs on but they are in the same position as the S4R

7. I wasn't worried about heat, more space :)

Thanks for the photo, I can see that bung is quite a bit further away than the exhaust than mine ;) I'll email the suppliers to make sure they fit.

8. I don't think you'll have an issue with them getting in the way. Find yourself a nice plate glass window or get a mate / better half to take a photo of you on the bike and you'll see you're not that close to the position on your bike.

Or just get an old bog roll tube and put it in the position of the bung to see how you feel about it.

9. Don't think it'll offer much crash protection... :rolleyes:

10. Hardly the most exciting pictures, but I've put my front fork protectors on, doesn't look too bad from the front view.

before.jpg after.jpg after2.jpg

before.jpg

after.jpg

after2.jpg

11. Those look ok, now for the frame sliders

12. Aye, I procrastinate forever on everything. Trying to figure out whether I want the evotech ones (tubular) or the r&g ones (wedge) :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information