V4 Dash Like A Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by carson, May 10, 2024.

1. Hi guys,

looking for some advice if anyone has come across this issue?

Bikes been sat in the garage since last year apart from a service at Ducati and today I changed the front tyre and went a run afterwards.
    I managed 28 miles and all of a sudden the dash lit up like a Christmas tree showing faults with the ABS, DTC, DES, QS, no speed showing and no change in mileage. Anyone got any ideas? Is it possible the front wheel sensors got damaged changing the wheel today?

2. Very likely the wheel speed sensor. Had this on my 1260 Mutley. The rear one got lightly damaged by road debris in Provence in '22, this temporarily threw an error but recovered to just an engine management light which itself went out later that day after a few ignition cycles. Read and cleared the codes once back in the UK.

This came home to roost a few weeks ago with exactly the symptoms you describe,this time the error and lit up dash was relatively permenant. Would clear for a moment and then return. All speed related functions disabled with DQS, DWC, DTC & ABS all showing 'Err'. The previous damage to the face of the sensor had finally resulted in its total failure. I sourced a nearly new part, from a V4 Pikes Peak, and fitted it a couple of weeks ago.

20240417_151506.jpg

The bike ran OK so I rode it home and plugged in my reader.

20240417_154401.jpg

Have a look at the sensor. You might just have the gap set incorrectly. Though the fact that you covered 28 miles first maybe indicates otherwise. Sensor retaining bolt loose maybe?

#2 Bumpkin, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Found it by the looks of things

IMG_8245.jpeg

Not looking forward to replacing this. Looks a right ballache

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The one on mine was a tricky job. Routing of the cable being the issue. Unbolting the sensor; 10 mins tops, getting the old cable out and then routing the replacement about 2hrs... Wound up cutting the old one and using that to pull the new one through the worst bit. The connector block on the new cable making this hard.

My mate suggested cutting and splicing the new and old. At the time that sounded like a recipe for a repeat issue down the line. However, retrospectively, done well and in the right place, would have been far easier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cut the chafed section out and replaced it with a soldered section and we’re all good now

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information