950 Dead Desertx Battery

Discussion in 'Desert X' started by eejit, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Hi,

I have a DesertX with just over 1,200k miles on it, fitted with a Biketrac tracker...now has a dead lithium battery. I have been away for a week, so bit surprised that the battery is dead....believe me I definitely rode it to charge the battery :)

I bought an Optimate Lithium charger as the charger that got from the dealers did not appear to be able to charge it. Anyway after 4 hours the Optimate is showing a battery error/dead cells etc. - so the original charger was probably fine.

Do I contact the dealer or just call Ducati breakdown assistance?...could do both. The dealership are always brilliant so can't say I'm too worried.

Not convinced trackers are such a good idea - I had issues with my previous bike with a dead battery, fortunately a conventional lead one, so bit of time and back in business. Think the lithium batteries may be an unreliable gimmick. Obviously a lot lighter, but that seems less relevant when you are pushing the bike :)

If anyone else has had the same issue please let me know.

Thanks

P

2. Is the lithium battery an OEM fitment? The previous battery tender before the Optimate, was this a lithium specific charger? If it wasn't then it's possible that this damaged the battery.

Had a lithium battery on my MV along with an Optimate lithium specific charger. No issues and wasn't on the charger all the time.

The lead acid battery on my Multi lasted a couple of months of storgage with tracker and Ducati alarm active before the tracker, via it's app, alerted me to a low charge state. Would expect similar from a lithium battery. One week sounds like there's either another parasitic drain or the battery was in trouble before this.

3. Hi Bumpkin

I was given a lithium charger with the bike, so used that. When it did not charge the battery I bought an Optimate Lithium charger because they have a "save" mode. The Optimate is showing an error with the battery, not sure if because charge is too low or if in fact the battery is a dud. Just called Ducati Assistance (the AA) so they are coming to look at it. I am assuming it has some dead cells. Just checked the BikeTrac on it - was last out 17 days ago, did a 3 hour ride - so left it fully charged.

4. If the lithium battery was fitted from the factory, or the dealer supplied and fitted it pre delivery of the bike, then I'd say that you have a justifiable claim for them to sort it out. Sounds like you've not done anything re. charging the battery that would result in its demise. Should last for 17 days with the tracker active though might possibly need a top-up charge to support starting the bike, wouldn't have though that would be the case though.

Is your garage heavily shielded (basement/underground parking or a shipping container)? This might result in the tracker working continually to pick up satellites or get a data signal. Not sure how the BikeTrac deals with this scenario, I'll wager that there's some intelligence built into them to give up after a while and rely on the last known position and wake on movement to help preserve the battery. Would also explain why the tracker failed to alert you to the low battery state.

5. There has been a lot of useful information about lithium chemistry batteries posted on the forum (and a lot of disinformation :joy:). Buried in the small print, manufacturers state, lithium batteries do not work well with the low amperage drain you get, with a constantly live tracker like Biketrac. In this instance, it is advisable to use a modern generation, battery maintainer when not using the bike. IMO, if neither of your chargers have been operating correctly, your 3 hour ride wouldn’t have recharged the battery. The latest generation LiFePO batteries I’ve bought, have on board circuitry that should protect the battery. Sadly, that’s no guarantee. If it is a battery failure, hopefully your dealer will be able to get it replaced. Andy

6. looks like the chargers were both fine - one is a brand-new Optimate Lithium, so pretty confident it is working. The nice man from the AA (courtesy of Ducati) turned up with his booster box. Started the bike instantly, ran it for a few minutes and then put it on the Optimate. Will have to wait and see what happens, but at the last check was busy charging away. Also checked the battery, still cool, so hoping will make a full recovery. If not time for a new one from Mr Ducati under warranty.

7. Although not recommended (early generation Lithium batteries have been known to combust) a jolt from a booster box or standard battery charger, has been known to bring a LiFePO battery back to life. Fingers crossed. Andy

8. All good, got a green light on the charger unhooked the charger and it started first press. Just going to leave it on trickle charge for the moment and hopefully out for a ride tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice.

Bike seems to be working fine, only issue is the Biketrac is not working, they say it is probably just the fuse that needs replacing - just need to locate it. As for the Lithium battery...going back to the dealer to see if can fit a lead battery instead. I need a reliable bike, particularly something that will start in mid-winter. Not convinced Lithium batteries are suitable for my needs. I have never had these issues with a conventional battery. I understand the weight saving is attractive, but a bike needs to be reliable first.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information