V4 Diary Of A Trackbike Build

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Jan 21, 2023.

1. So, been wanting to do one of these for a while, bit of a record all the little bits and bats I end up changing, how I did it and where I got the bits from, hopefully might help some people convert their road bike if that’s what they want to do. Or for no one to read but at least I’ll be able to revisit it :laughing:

In December 2022 I picked up this 2018 Panigale V4 with 10k miles on the dash but apparently the engine only has 3k ish on it (the seller couldn’t evidence that however)

41C84529-80D9-4E3C-A747-6A8F2B387C96.jpeg

first things first, get the full akra, gloss carbon and Ducabike clear clutch cover off the bike. The exhaust is too loud for most of the UK so that’s going to be sold when Phil at Storm Performance has finished using it to make a track friendly slip on for some of his customers.

I’m not a massive fan of gloss carbon so that’s all gone on ebay.

And the clear clutch covers :thinkingface: each to their own but it’s not for me. I want a dry clutch conversion but that might be an addition for next winter

DBF3442C-189D-4797-B523-F7A6D0582929.jpeg

I love having to remove silicon adhesive from motorcycle frames : unamused: some WD40 a plastic wrap applicator and some elbow grease to get them cleaned up

List of bits sold:
    • Stock wheels - £800 (eBay)
    • Full Akrapovic Ti system - £2500 (ebay)
    • Clear clutch kit - £150 (to a very impatient man on ebay)
    • Various bits of gloss carbon - £450 (various ebay buyers)

#1 DRR117, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Looking forwards to following the progress!

Whenever I see a V4 with the fairings off my mind struggles to understand how naked bikes are even possible!

Where the hell do they hide it all??

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Here’s mine….bought good bike, bought ohlins all round and sorted for my weight, bought S wheels, bought track kit incl tank, bought track rearsets, bought new battery.

Sat in garage 2 years.

:joy::joy::joy::poop::poop::poop:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1

4. :(

5. What exhaust are you going for?
    I’ve ordered a Pipewerx half system that arrives on Tuesday, should be 5kg+ saving and 11bhp+ gain for £700, and apparently 89db on noise test!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Struggle to believe any of those claims.

7. Thanks for letting me know :joy:

Just going off their dyno sheet and info from speaking to them.
    Weight is easy as I’ve weighed the standard box to compare, noise is easy as I can test it, power is a gamble but not specifically why I’ve bought it so not overly fussed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That must be drive by measured not acu measured. And the power increase I’d wager is around 8k revs, most seem to be. Looking at the Akra system for my 1299 it’s a handful at full chat but 8-12 midrange (on their dyno pic)

9. I’m getting one of Phil’s (Storm Performance Fabrications) underseat systems. The Tesco friendly cans and the obnoxious euro cans :grinning:

I’ll update with performance and weights when it’s fitted and mapped. :upyeah: Might be a couple of months off that tho

• Like Like x 3
  10. I saw the 89db as well as the potential HP gain and thought - how are they performing such voodoo?

And looking at the more traditional design I now understand! Ducati has a tendency in certain areas to go with form over functional and Exhaust design is definitely one of those areas! (won’t mention single sided swingarms)

@bradders - you might believe some of the claims if you see the designs - obviously the bhp gains claimed by any manufacturer are utterly spurious and subjective as Dyno results are so wildly variable and seemingly dependent on the the day of the week and where the moon is and what star sign the operator is! :D

FDD8AA9B-BA63-4BA5-A03A-ECFD0EA24D09.jpeg

11. Have a look at their dyno sheet on the website, yes it’s higher up but I only ride on track so anything under 7k for me is idle speed!
    Apparently it was static 5.5krpm but tested via an app not an official tester, but is a huge 450mm can.

Nice!
    Same kind of idea as me, I want a second can that’s loud for when I can get away with it.

I’m only going off their comparison dyno run on the website, shows 11bhp up I think from the bike in stock form so I’ll trust it for now.

12. That’s all you can do - I’m not specifically questioning their claims or honesty - I’m just commenting based on what I have seen in every Dyno related discussion I have ever seen on the Web.

Each Dyno machine gives a different result and the amount of variables that seem to affect the outcome of each test are so mind boggling that it seems they should be used as a general guideline only.

Dyno torque settings, calibration, tyres altitude/humidity/temperature all seem to produce different results so I think you have to take all figures with a pinch of salt. If the tests are run on the same Dyno, by the same person - in exactly the same way - and within a tight time window - then they are going to be as close to ‘accurate’ as is possible with regards to a comparison between exhausts and tunes - but that is rarely the case with the screenshots and printouts I have seen - and if the dates and times of each test aren’t included then there’s just no way of proving even that level of validity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. The plan…

so here’s what I intend to do with the bike as of the end of January 2023 (those who know me, know I’m a little impulsive so some of these plans may change by the beginning of Feb :joy:)

When I do each of these changes I’ll do a post with some pics and details. :upyeah:

Forks - Selling the stock showa forks and swapping them for some V4R pressurised Ohlins forks I’m having sorted by Simon at SitraMoto.

Wheels - selling the stock wheels and either going with Marchesini Forged or possibly BST Carbon :)

Brakes - ditching the ABS and getting Hel Performance upgrades from @Pablo Pirate :upyeah:

Bodywork - selling the road panels and have some matt Fullsix carbon RS panels to fit

Tank - selling the red tank and getting a bare aluminium tank as it’ll look better with the black / carbon bodywork.

Rear shock - selling the stock shock and fitting a Ktech DDS Pro unit supplied by Simon at Sitramoto

Subframes - selling the front and rear subframes and replacing with MotoHolders aluminium frames. Until I locate some Pierobon goodness that is.

Exhaust - Selling the full Ti Akrapovic and fitting V4 SP headers with a Storm Performance Fabrications underseat exhaust. Will be mapped by Sam at Motohub and will let you know what power she produces.

rearsets - selling the stock pegs and haven’t decided on Rizoma or Spider yet

bars - selling the stock bars and fitting black spider racing clipons

switches - Selling the stock switches and fitting BSD race units to left and right bars.

ignition - jet prime race switch to limit the chance of my losing the key.

clutch - always wanted a dry clutch conversion so fingers crossed that’ll be an option

adding some crash protection, titanium bolts and the like so will put some details on about weight saving…. I know easier to go on a diet but who doesn’t love a shiny new race drilled bolt :joy:

#13 DRR117, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Looking forward to this

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Top thread...:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I've got some bits available too
    jet prime race key button plug and play
    jet prime race left switch gear plug and play
    RCS 19 master cylinder
    interested....

17. I’ve got some un used rear sets you might be interested in? I bought them from topolino. He’d got them for his V4S build project but decided not to use them. I can’t remember the make but they’re quality kit. As you’d expect from topolino…

* oops, soz @Android853sp just noticed you’re trying to flog yours as well… crack on…

• Like Like x 1
  18. Watched! this will be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information