Diy Rear Ohlins Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by pawelgawel, Sep 27, 2022.

1. has anyone attempted a DIY on the rear shocks? I know the TTX is complex but the basic ones off 1098 for example, is there a DIY for this that I could attempt?

2. I used to rebuild dampers for a living. The basic Öhlins is quite easy to do as far as dampers go but you do need a few special tools like a nitrogen filling rig with a hypodermic needle, a friction ratchet with a suitable insert to undo the body to name but 2. The biggest problem is a lack of a Dyno. Even the best damper technician can't be certain a damper is working correctly without checking it on a Dyno.
    I made some videos rebuilding a showa which is very similar to a Öhlins. If you search showa damper you should find a thread with some links. The videos are quite long but perhaps helpful to you. I think the thread may have been made a sticky in the tech section. You can buy Oil and parts of BG bearings at Silverstone.

What is it you're trying to achieve?
    I still have access to a Dyno and could potentially do it for you at a reasonable cost and make another video at the same time. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Thank you! I watched a youtube video someone made in California, and I can understand what you mean with the couple issues id have. Im replacing my showa with Ohlins on my SF and I though of refreshing it before it goes in. technically I haven't received it yet, its on its way, but the last owner said it may need one to be safe. I won't know exactly the shape its in till I have it. If its dry, I probably wont touch it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. and thank you for the generous offer, I would definitely consider it, but since Im in Canada, the shipping itself won't make it reasonable. I found a shop locally here that does the service for $250CND, I might just have to go with them.

5. That's probably about right if it includes all the consumable parts like seals, piston guide rings and oil. Check with them. Öhlins parts are expensive so if it's just labour you can add a good chunk for parts. They hardly ever go wrong when they are looked after and cleaned occasionally. There performance does drop off over time due to the the oil polymer chains being chopped up and the piston guide/seal wearing out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Interesting thread. I’m very grateful for the info. I will watch the video in the link tomorrow. I am currently rebuilding my shock on my multistrada. Sachs 46/14. Having a lovely time making special tools and nitrogen filling adapters! Can anyone answer why it seems to be impossible to search for data for shocks? Why is it a closed book? I want to know what depth to set the nitrogen piston in its chamber. I get that dyno’s should be used to accurate setup however I am not changing any components other than seals and oil. The bike has done 60k miles and I recon its due a birthday in the shock department!

7. You bottom out the piston by putting pressure in the gas chamber before you bleed the actual damper. Once it's bled properly you top up the damper with oil to above where the damper top/seal head is going to end up. Your damper rod/piston needs to be also above its final position at that time too. You slowly lower the seal head into the oil. It will spill at that point. When the o-ring is lightly engaged you dump the pressure in the nitrogen cannister and keep that vented. Now you can push the seal head down to just past the circlip groove and insert that. Now re-gas with nitrogen, the main shaft/sealhead will be pushed up to their correct position and the gas piston will be exactly where it needs to be. Not bottomed out because of the oil you displaced when installing the sealhead. I'm pretty sure I covered that in the videos. The Sachs and the Showa are almost identical. Showa has a bladder instead of a piston on the gas side. I just did a Sachs from a Monster and apart from the shaft seal itself even the other ORings for the seal head were the same as the Showa.

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is the assembly video I did.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks so much for the help and advice. Shock is now rebuilt. Hopefully without any air hidden anywhere. I improvised a bit with various techniques to persuade all the air out of various places. Spring back on tomorrow and test ride!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information