748 Do I Have To Be Concerned ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Markie, Aug 27, 2023.

1. hello friends here's the details of the oil leaks i sustained after the long trip from the uk to Italy , bike is running amazing but seeing the oil there is something which makes me think for the worst
    have u got tips on what could be the causes of it ?

cheers

Bradley Ray my hero ! get well soon mate after the shoulder operation

IMG20230827143817.jpg

IMG20230827143827.jpg

IMG20230827143837.jpg

2. I’d venture to suggest the oil is coming from the crank case breather where it exits the crank case. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. What he said :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. What I said a few days ago on the OP's other thread...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Base gasket. Renowned for leaking from there. Clean it up and keep an eye out for it after the next ride out. I had similar on an old 998S but only noticed a bit of oil there every now and then.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I had this same leak from my base gasket. I just cleaned it every few weeks. It was fixed when I did the 853 conversion and put all new base gasket with RTV.
    I wouldn't spend the time & money (gasket kit) on the job for just fixing that leak

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. It's a 20 yr old Ducati. Be glad it's not on fire.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. well on a trip from Exeter to Milan in three days i think chances are that more than 748's models , the 848's,1098's,1198's,1199's,v2's,v4's models will caught fire as soon as they are on the dartford Tunnel

9. I have the same on my 748, fairly certain it's the base gasket but as others have said clean it up and see how long it takes to gather. Mine is a pretty slow weep so is being left until I need to crack into the engine for other works.

10. I would guess breather... my 996 can be a little tacky / oily to touch and weeps a tiny amount. If it's the gasket... I have no suggestions. But the breather can be cleaned and replaced with a more modern catch can I believe

11. Clean it up, change the oil and filter, then see what comes out.
    A trickle is fine and you could probably say, not unusual.

12. My vote gets breather too. From what I can see there is no oil residue seeping from the base gasket and the breather looks pretty wet.

13. You cannot rule out that the breather is leaking but I'm afraid that the most common reason is the base gasket
    It's never the easy answer with the desmo engine
    A lot of people used to tap the oilway that causes the leak and screw in a grub screw
    I've had an S4, 748sps and 916sp everyone had the oil leak and all were cured by fixing the base gasket.
    Your question is "should I be worried" the answer is "No" it's messy and annoying but it ain't going to be anything more

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information