Does Having A Main Dealer In The Area Influence Your Choice Of Bike ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by HootOwl, Oct 27, 2024 at 11:53 AM.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Separate to the threads where Ducati (and other) main dealers seem to be disappearing at pace.

Does the fact there may be no main dealer within say 30 miles or so of home, influence your choice of bike?

Are you concerned there is no-one to use diagnostic kit or deal with warranty issues on you high end machine, or unconcerned ?

2. Not at all, I haven’t ever bought a motorcycle from a local dealer on that basis.

3. I think the fact that you see (or don't see) the bikes and the brand automatically affects you.

4. I’ve selected yes on basis new bike. Used, I’m Ducati guy mainly so less of an issue as no worries about warranty etc. same with car tbh.

5. I’ve bought bikes from *distant* dealers on the basis that there’s a local, franchised dealer with the necessary kit et al.
    Hasn’t always worked, mind.
    I won’t do business with my *local* dealer due to appalling service, now looking at 3 hour trip each way.

6. Buying a new bike then yes i definitely would.

It’s a bit unfair to tar all main dealers with the same brush. There are some very good ones out there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Voted 'yes', though only for buying new, or with significant warranty remaining, I'd want one in striking distance. i.e. enough time to ride, get service and return the same day.

Used and out of warranty, as I've just done, then I don't really care. Ducati, as an example as that's where I'm at right now, I'm lucky enough to have a good indi locally plus I have an OBDStar for diagnostics.

Bought a new MV a few years ago from local dealer who then went belly up. After that I had to ride to Dorset to get service/warranty work done which was a PITA. Usually an overnight stay involved. Though that got me out of the house when my marriage was falling apart so not so bad.

#7 Bumpkin, Oct 27, 2024 at 5:22 PM
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2024 at 12:00 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. i think it has a massive impact on car sales

9. I've voted No on the basis that I have no intention of buying a new bike as in brand new

10. Bike or car I’m happy to travel for what I like and good service.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I voted no. My main bikes are zx10r,Gsxr thou,Honda fireblade.
    I can do pretty much every thing that is needed maintenance wise and the Gsxr has over 90k miles on it ,from new.So I must be doing ok.
    However I will keep a full dealer history on my 1299,s. It is a 66plate with less than 5k on it. Just to help with resale value.

12. 100% I can walk to my dealer here in Croydon in five minutes but only use Pro Twins dose that count ??

• Like Like x 1
  13. I usually have the servicing done by the dealer I purchased the bike from. My GasGas is still in warranty and although a 4 hour round trip it is along some of the best roads that I know and ride. Plus they gave me such a fantastic deal on the bike I felt a little loyalty to the dealer.

To be honest I don’t even know who my local GasGas dealer is, the only one I know to was CPS in Hinckley but they closed down last year in line with their stated aim.

My KTM was different as I bought it from the main dealer but they only did the initial 620mls service, I was unhappy that they wanted to charge me to wash my bike prior to the service as I’d ridden over on the day of service whilst it was raining.

• WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information