Donington DB levels

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ducatisti1098, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Can anyone advise if i would get away with a 1098R with full Termi system (db killers fitted) at Donington on a quiet 98 db track day, its a drive by test apparently,

I called the circuit and they were couldn't really offer much help , its a long way for me to go to get knocked back,

I'd appreciate any advice on the set up at Donington,

Cheers.

2. Cant you get a noise test somewhere more local to you?
    I done Donington a couple of times, I got static tested last time as well as warned about the on track monitors - its next to an airport FFS!

3. yes, stupid place. TBH, one of the places I'm not sure I can be bothered to go to.

4. It's a pain. Happening at Mallory too these days. My two closest tracks :-(

5. Mallory! I've never been tested at Mallory

6. Apparently locals kicking up about noise, so they are testing some days. I know it's been said before, but why live there if you don't like the row? Unless there's been an inordinate increase in noise levels, which seems unlikely to me.

7. I can understand why locals may complain at Mallory (although agree with the 'why live there if you don't like it') but Donington isn't really near to Castle Donington and it's right next door to a bleedin' airport which is noisier 24/7, so can't see why anyone could complain?

8. Just as I finally get a loud exhaust.. :mad:

9. I know , I was baffled by your decision ;-)

10. Haha.

I just want to ride the damb thing and I cant wait to hear it through a tunnel :biggrin:

11. We'll get you through the A38/Queensway in Brum on a Sat a.m! I'll bring the SS with Nog's Sparx cans.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm afraid to say it but Donington is very hot on noise limits and its probably down to the locals but what can they do? They can't afford anymore issues on non race days as they're trying extremely hard to survive so its just about playing ball I reckon.

If its a 98db day you'll get checked, fly by will pick you up without a doubt I reckon, although there are noisy days still on the calendar but make sure it's one of them you go too.

We do the printing of onsite information & display boards for Donington and only last week we designed a big, brand new, interchangable noise limit board which they're fitting just above the Norton sign as you go through the barriers in towards the track/paddocks etc (left hand side facing incoming traffic)

I can only assume that's made to show they're at least trying to manage it properly so people driving in and out will now have the db limit displayed clearly thus no excuses.

13. Always get tested at Mallory. My standard 996 barely made it through.

14. Mallory testing is a new one on me.

Donington is very hot on noise, the track has monitors on the track and you will be asked to leave if you trigger those as the local council gets notified instantly of any transgression.

15. Mallory started noise testing this year, funny thing is that the last TD I did there at the back end of March was being run along side a National MX event, have you heard the noise 40+ MX bikes make?
    It always makes me laugh watching blokes shoving old Coke cans/pieces of fruit/old T-shirts/wadding etc down their 2 grand race systems at a track day.

16. i did a quiet day last year on the r1 without the baffles it was 106db so i had some baffles made and i never had any problems, my 1098s has the full 70mm system and with the baffles i rekon that would pass, im not sure how much louder the 1098r is though.

17. I've been at donny when there's been bikes with full systems and baffles in on 98db days. They had no trouble. All depends on what the weather etc is like on the day though.

Matt

18. For my sins I'm an MSA Clerk of the Course and although I haven't been to Donington since it was reopened I do know they have a lot of hassle regarding noise.
    The drive by microphones are linked to a display in race control, which is also linked to the local council so if they keep going over the limit they'll get a phone call, followed by an eye watering fine and possible restrictions on their days.
    This is why they're so hot on the problem, it's not the circuits fault.
    As regards the OP, if you can get your bike static tested somewhere it may offer a clue, but my gut feeling is it would be close.
    Static testing (of cars) is as follows, the test will be carried out with the meter 0.5m from the car exhaust at a 45 degree angle with the car at ¾ maximum revs.
    Long time since I've worked on circuit with bikes, but I'd imagine the test isn't that dissimilar.
    Regards, Al.

19. Problem is lack of a level playing field.
    As you've stated. Is it static or Moving noise. If static then where, when, how far from bike. Quantity of revs for an il4 vs v twin etc. And as for state of equipment, calibration etc. good luck.
    At the end of the day if u got a full termi or such like then u know u r sailing close to the wind before u even turn up.

20. Ps there is a lad came out with us regularly around Brecon area with a 1098r full system and if he was behind me on my 848 full system i could hear him over and above my own bike with ear plugs in, it was bloody loud. after all it was as Near as damn it a road going super stock bike lol ain't Never gonna pass a quiet track day is it whether 98, 100 or 102....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information