Dss Sensor Location & Multiple Sensor Errors

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Edit : 1st Q has been answered now. Outstanding & related technical Q starts from post #5.

Does anyone please know where exactly the rear DSS sensor is on a 2017 1200 Enduro? It’s marked as spring travel sensor in this diagram. I can't find it all. Admittedly it may be in a slightly different location on the Enduro model as that has a double sided swing arm and the diagram is the 'regular' SSSA multi.

IMG_6350.jpg

TIA

#1 West Cork Paul, Jun 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  2. Just to add to this. Does anyone know a way to test the actual sensors?. According to diagnostics there is no connectivity from any of the 3 sensors back to the BBS yet I know I've got continuity from the front two accelerometers back to the BBS, just need to location the rear one to test that. I can't believe all 3 sensors have failed.

3. Had to unbolt mine on my regular 1260s the other day when replacing the rear wheel sensor. On my bike it's right down between the frame and the single sided swing-arm on the right side of the bike, tucked in behind the rear brake master cylinder and reservoir.

It was item #4 on this fiche, you can see the linkage beneath that connects to the swing-arm. On the 1200 Enduro you can see the same thing here as #5. It's the same part across both bikes and seems to be located in much the same place.

#3 Bumpkin, Jun 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Its in the same place on DVT 2016 as Bumpkins

Its a bugger to get to if needs to be exchanged and made easier if you undo the rear shock and drop the swingarm ... BUT if you do do that make sure you undo the bolt on the sensor where the lever connects on the swingarm , if not good chance you'll break it, ask me how I know ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thank you @Bumpkin & @knightrider .

A related question. A previous owner has swapped the exhaust system for a full Termi system, manifolds to end pipe. In doing so they obviously didn’t need the exhaust valve so they’ve disconnected the cable but left the servo motor in situ and left it connected to the loom. They didn’t fit an ESE.

In another thread where someone had issues with DSS errors a previous member of the community (rainmaker) was questioning them about whether they’d recently fitted an ESE. As he/she is no longer here I can’t ask why they raised that question. What I do know though, from the wiring diagram, is there is a shared link from all the components that show as not communicating with the BBS which includes the fuel level sensor and the exhaust valve motor. They all go back to pin 11 on the BBS.
    IMG_6351.jpeg

This got me thinking the fault may lie on that line :thinkingface:. However, continuity from the connectors in the loom for those components back to pin 11 is good. Could it be the lack of feedback from the servo motor is causing knock on effects within the BBS? There are no error codes for the servo motor thrown which is baffling.

6. If they left the exhaust servo connected and rigged it in such as way that the spool or cable had some sprung resistance, i.e. fitting a spring to the end of the cable as many do, the servo continues to operate thinking that there's still a spring loaded valve on the other end of the cable. Thus it carries on in blissful ignorance assuming all is well and not throwing an error onto the dash.

7. Nothing like that is Jerry rigged at all. The end of the Bowden cable which would have gone into the valve mechanism has just been tucked away out of sight. The motor operates, as you can hear it cycling but there’s no resistance on the end of it. I’d remove it completely but it’s a right PITA to get out of there.

No exhaust valve errors though, either on the dash or in diagnostics, just all the DSS sensor errors indicating a short or open circuit on every sensor.

8. If no resistance on the end spring and no dash lights on they must have fitted a servo eliminator, have a look for 1 under the riders seat on the right hand side inbetween the bbs unit and frame somewhere

Screenshot_20240608_165145_Chrome.jpg

9. Though surely, if an eliminator is fitted, then the servo wouldn't be operating as West Cork Paul is, suggesting?

I had this a couple of months ago. OBDStar diagnosed it as rear wheel speed sensor. I strongly suspected this was the case anyway due to damage to it in 2022 (French autoroute, trapped road debris) which went away, as far as the dash was concerned, after a few miles and ignition cycles...

20240417_151526.jpg

Bought a replacement sensor off of ebay, V4 PP one, same part number, and all is good again.

#9 Bumpkin, Jun 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good point ... I need to read things more thoroughly

11. There’s deffo no ESE fitted.

I’ve ordered an ESE so I can fit it and see what, if any, difference that makes. If none, well, I’ll be selling an ESE never used.

I’ve also ordered a new accelerometer, the one that attaches to the top of the triple clamp at the front, the ‘cheaper’ one of all 3 of them. If the error disappears from that sensor then I’ll work on the principle that all 3 sensors are faulty and replace the rest. However, if the error persists on that sensor then it will push me further down the path of thought that it’s the BBS that’s at fault :confused:.

• Like Like x 1
  12. For anyone who’s interested, here’s the list of errors.
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    NB the fuel level sensor error fluctuates between active and memorised. It too has continuity back to the BBS so either the fuel sensor is also FUBAR or ……. (It’s the BBS).

The LH switchgear issue has been fixed, broken cable after he dropped the bike.

13. I had a multi with all sorts of suspension error messages. Turned out to be a defective rear electric shock. Disconnected it and the other sensor faults disappeared......

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Disconnected the electronic preload or the electronic compression & rebound, or both?

Presumably you changed the shock for a working one? Or just lived with it ?

15. Think it was the preload motor. As it was a customer, the shock was changed which was fun as the bottom shock bolt was seized in the swingarm

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just seen this Paul. In the last couple of months, I’ve had 2 in the shop with the same issues. More or less the same error list iirc.
    Both times it’s been one of the front accelerometers. One the frame mounted unit, the other was the wheel mounted one.
    It’s been an internal fail that has killed the shared 5v supply feed around the sensor wiring. It took hours to find first time around, but on the second bike, all I did was disconnect each accelerometer in turn until the errors cleared. The easy indication was the shock went into it preload calibration cycle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Thank you Nelly :upyeah:. I’ll do just that and report back how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hmm, no joy so far. It matters not which accelerometer at the front is disconnected, or even if both are, the fault codes remain. I’ve now ordered two replacement front accelerometers to swap them in and see if that cures it.

I sincerely hope it’s not the rear one that’s at fault, for I’ve found that now, it’s enclosed in the same housing as the exhaust servo motor and will be a nightmare to remove/swap without removing the entire rear exhaust system at the very least :confused:.
    IMG_6379.jpeg

19. I'm afraid it's tougher than removing the exhaust.... the whole right hand rear frame has to come off. I can't recall where the connector is to try a disconnect. I'll have a look.

20. The connector is paired up in a rubber boot with the exhaust valve connector, under the seat.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information