Ducati 1198s £3650

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by pegboy, May 14, 2013.

1. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

There was a gumtree advert for a 2009 Ducati 1198s for £3650. I had my doubtsbut thought I would give them a call and see what it was all about. A longstory short, the number supplied in the add, 020 3468 5973, I left a message onSunday, I had a text message from 07704 710 511, saying to email [email protected] for furtherinformation. which I did email and then it started, oh first there was severalads for this bike locations varied from Devon, to Hyde Park, Farringdon, Northamptonetc

So I had a reply email then received another from a Carla Jones [email protected] saying the bike is mint,wanting a quick sale etc. and that she was away on business, Scotland, and theemail goes on about using ebay how I would be 100% covered and protected, ohthey were going to cover all the shipping cost to me. I asked for the location of the bike so Icould view and to have the Reg. No so I can carry out a HPI. Well that’s whenit all stopped.

So I looked into this a little further and the 020 3468 5973 number is linked toa Tractor and Caterpillar, and the tractor was advertised for over £6K when yousearch google with the same description it appears on a Agriculture website for over £17K, with the same photo.

The phone numbers are dead now and no response. be aware,if it’s too good to be true it probably is.

2. I would be very very careful of all Gumtree adverts relating to vehicles. My friends brother was robbed and stabbed when he went to look at a car that seemed very kosher. He didn't tell anybody where he was going and it could of been so much worse. Careful people.

#2 yets, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. This is a scam - they will send you a fake link to PayPal or something.

Report it to gumtree.

4. Already reported it to gumtree also about the other ads. I brought my monster off gumtree and although it was painfully slow progress and similar as the guy who owned the bike was in Dubai. However I was dealing with his girlfriend who worked for a well known finance company and the boyfriend for the same in dubai, after a littel research found them both on FB and look all kosher, i still took a mate with me though when i went to view the bike, and was greated by the owners mum and the girlfirend, but never be too carefull.

Got a great deal and a cracking bike

5. Just had this response from the seller??

Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program:

- I make the private listing on eBay for you,
    - you go and buy it through their website,
    - you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,
    - they confirm me that they received the funds,
    - I deliver it,
    - you receive it,
    - they send me the money,

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it in good order.
    Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

6. Sounds perfect............ :rolleyes:

7. I also called ebay and found out that all vehicles are not covered through ebay

8. Did you ask at any point why they want to sell it for less than half of its market value? If someone is that desperate for money they can just sell it to webuyanybike. Don't get it why scammers make it so obvious from the start that it's a scam :rolleyes:

9. I cant believe you actually called them! You actually got half suckered

10. nothing wrong with pursuing a possible 'deal' by phone out of curiosity as long as you you precede the number with '141'. If you are about to tell Gumtree anyway then the need for some 'evidence' is there just in (the very slim!) case it is a genuine ad. Done it myself as I find it interesting/amazing to hear the way they word the squirming justification of not letting you see the item but instead immediately launch into how you can pay for it :)

11. You can spot them a mile off because they list them in every county lol

12. You could have saved yourself all the hassle because it was obviously a scam from the ad ,I mean c'mon an 1198S for that money? Dont be daft:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. They always seem to work on the rigs, or live on the Shetland Isles.

14. Ha yeah you are all right, but I am not that stupid tohand out bank details or money without being curtain, it's why I proceeded withcaution, I had my doubts right from the start but if you don't enquire you willnever know. I only phoned Ebay out of interest as I had not heard of thatbefore

So how about this scenario, boyfriend, girlfriend split and she sells the bike for what ever she is owed, because to her it has absolute no value or interest, you would have all been super jealous if it was real.

15. Not really, as you are buying a stolen bike, as it's not hers to sell.

So you end up in the same position as buying the first bike. No cash and no bike.

16. If the bike is actually a 1098s with the reg number VXO8 AGO, it's stolen and it's mine...........................can i have all the carbon bits off of it :biggrin:

17. I recently bought a "too good to be true bike" which turned out to be a really nice example, so sometimes it works out ok :upyeah:

18. I saw that ad on Gumtree a couple of days ago and reported it immediately. It seems amazing to me that people actually think they're going to get an 1198 (or whatever) for xxx amount of pounds. I've met/dealt with some nice people through Gumtree but unfortunately there are those who seem to think that they can 'scam' anyone.

What I tend to do is if I'm looking for something in a particular area is then search the uk as a whole to see if the ad is repeated, lo and behold, the 1198 was there.

The cheek of some people is unbelievable, I always add at the end of reporting them "call the cops". I doubt they do, but they should, it is after all said and done blatant attempted fraud.

Credit to Gumtree tho, they do pull ads fairly quickly I've noticed once reported.

19. For Sale: Buckingham Palace.
    £2.00
    Honest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Good job you left some bartering room there, would you accept a cheque for £1?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information