Ducati 450 Desmo Silver Shotgun - Identification

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Michael Brough, Jun 25, 2024.

1. I am trying to ascertain if a bike I am looking is in fact a silver shotgun (no paperwork). The frame number is DM450S*463192. Most SS 450's I have seen start DM450M3. Can anyone cast any light on what they think the frame is if it is a Silver Shotgun. I have seen the S frame in the Ducati list and the frame number shows it as a 450 1971-1972.

2. You need a copy of falloons singles guide which breaks down the numbers but i would expect a shotgun to be a DM450M3 a 6 number frame starting with 7
    450s starting 4 more likely a SCR.

I am not an expert and Ducati did tend to use whats in the parts bin but i would do further checks before parting with cash TBH

3. Hi looking at the Bevel Heaven forum the Frame number points to it being a 1971 bike it is just the S designation after the frame number not M3 which the silver shotguns had. I wonder whether the frame is from a Scrambler?

4. The bevel heaven site is a good starting point but its used to clone numbers. I knew of a 750GT cloned off that list a while back .
    Because its just reader updated i wouldn't take too much notice ie: its not official..

5. Had a look at the previous sales at auctions and as I suspected it looks to have been a Scrambler frame. All of the Silver Shotguns sold at auction where they show a frame number prefix DM450M3 whereas a Scrambler sold at auction has a prefix DM450S which corresponds with the bike i'm being offered as a 1971 Silver Shotgun which now clearly is not. I have ordered the Ian Falloon and Mick Walker book so that I have the reference for next time. Thanks for the help Paddy

6. Dodged a bullet there :upyeah: A little bit of help from the forum and some good sleuthing on your part. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not a bullet, more like pellets.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information