Ducati parked outdoors

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by ottoatom, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Hi,

I will have my first Ducati in a few months but I have some doubts about wich one to get. The big problem is that I will not have a closed garage to park it, just an opened private parking for the building. The place for the bike is partly covered so the bike will not be exposed directly to rain but will get wet anyway from the cross winds when it's raining harder and general humidity. The street where I live is pretty safe so I am not so much worried about robberies as I am about corrosion, battery drainage and what more. For security purposes I will use an anchor, chain, lock with alarm and maybe another disk lock.

My dream bike is the 749/999 but I get that it is a pretty expensive bike to maintain and has some problems that would need some regular maintenance like connect it to a battery optimizer (which would be difficult to do in a parking place without power outlets).. My other choice of bikes would be a monster S2R 800 or a monster 620/695.

So I guess I would like to know what you guys think about exposing one of these bikes to the elements, what particular care should I take with it, will it undergo unrecoverable damage, etc.. I know that any bike will suffer under the elements, but I wanted to know if any of these Ducs will be unusable after 1 year parked outdoors for example.

Thanks!
    otto

2. Hi m8,

As discussed on another thread here somewhere, the lack of power need not stop you from using an optimiser these days......a small boat or similar solar panel on the parking area roof would provide a trickle charge.

These days not many bikes take to well to outdoor storage due to the modern day build quality, but with a bit of TLC and maintenance you should get by.

3. These days not many bikes take to well to outdoor storage due to the modern day build quality = made of cheese :tongue:

4. Exactly!.....cheese and chocolate fasteners :frown:

5. my SS lived outdoors on the west Scottish highland coast (Oban) for three years in the previous owners hands. Then engine finish suffered a litle, as did a few ad hoc nuts and bolts, but it took very little work to return it to very respectable condition. Its kept warm and safe living a very pampered life in my garage now, but to be honest I think they are more robust than people give them credit for.

It cost about £50 in stainless fasteners, polish and elbow grease to get it looking like this.

IMAG0217.jpg

6. My SSie has lived outside under a cover for three years and looks just the same, starts on the button every time even when it hasn't been run for weeks or sometimes even months!

7. These are some shots of my parking place.

SDC10388b.jpg SDC10387b.jpg

I Don't know if it will be possible to fit a solar panel for the optimizer but I could give it a try. I think it will be ok, I got a better look at the place now and I dont think rain will get to the bike even with cross winds. I should cover the bike with a waterproof cover and i think it will be enough to protect it against humidity and water. Hope so..

When you say modern day bikes, you mean modern day "injection and ecu" bikes? or modern like 2010-2012? because those bikes I'm going after are 2003-2006. Would that still be a modern bike for you?

Philoldsmobile your bike looks sweet! I rode a 749 dark from 2004 and it was a mess.. fairing plastics cracked from the sun, paint flaking off the headlights frames, indicator plastics sunburnt... No way it could look as new as yours.

XxanthxX what do you mean by small boat? Do you know where I could find one of these solar panels you are talking about? thx

SDC10388b.jpg

SDC10387b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Its a pity Monica didnt Zim.....Lol...

• Like Like x 1
  9. There's loads on the bay of flea's.

But here's a small direct charger

Solar Powered 5 W 12V Battery Charger-Boats/Cars | eBay

The larger the better, right up to ones that can supply 240v to run a proper optimiser.

I used one like the above to charge a battery on a littleguy trailer.

10. OK so I had a 749 for over a year stored not outside but in metal shed so when cold outside cold inside and so on. Never had optimiser and as long as I run it every second day for the least 20 miles one way battery was good. Only 3 times battery failed (need booster pack to start) was:
    1. When I had an alarm it drained battery within week of standing.
    2. After was I could not start it and it drained the battery.
    3. It was -8 outside for well over a week again needed booster pack. Booster pack did not help the frozen oil in damper ;)

11. Thanks! There are few golden rules to remember when keeping a bike outdoors. Salt is the no 1 enemy, so keep the bike clean in winter and sunlight is also very harsh. A good polish such as Auto Glym Super Resin polish has UV blockers in it, so it will help prevent fading, think of it as sun tan lotion for your bike. Don't forget when polishing to go over light lenses, they really respond well to a bit of Auto Glym. Cracked plastics are usually the consequence of either over tightening fasteners or fitting bodywork to crash damaged mounting points that distort it out of place. Ducati bodywork fits very well, so nothing should be under any serious tension. It does sound like the 749 was a particularly neglected example. I'd term a 'modern' bike as anything with an ECU and fuel injection or anything late 90's onwards.

12. Everything I read suggested the ie is more robust than the carby in tems of electrical system and finish, something that swayed my decision to go ie instead of carby as I was due to move and wasn't sure if i'd have a garage.

13. It's the fasteners, nuts and bolts, that are going to look the worse for wear if left outside. I would invest £30 in a big bottle of ACF50 and liberally coat the fasteners with it using a toothbrush or cloth. Refresh it every couple of months and it should clean up fine. If you are plannijg on using the bike regualrly, like every day, then you shouldn't need a battery charger.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just get out and ride it and clean it regularly. Nothing will kill a bike quicker than not using it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Actually, Nog, Monica often did live outside under a cover between meetings! Although fastener finish was probably the least of her cosmetic problems ...

16. Another vote for ACF50 or similar. Sure it will look a pile of crap between cleans as it attracts dirt like a 80 yr old billionaire attracts 20yr old blondes, but the finish underneath is mega protected. Rode a GS1200 bimmer thru the winter, snow salt whatever, cleaned it for selling in the spring and everything looked new.

17. I think I'd be installing a wall anchor

18. Do walls float then? :wink:

AL

• Like Like x 1
  19. You know what I mean

Do Not Sell My Personal Information