Ducati Roadside Assistance - Anyone used it in Europe?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Majvs, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Hi guys,
    My Mutley is about to enter its second year and a trip to Italy is planned. I have the Ducati Roadside Assistance that came with the new bike but I'm not sure how effective it will be if (God forbid!) the bike breaks down during the trip. I'm tempted to take out a supplementary breakdown recovery e.g. RAC but I don't want to spend the extra if the Ducati scheme works okay. Has anyone had to use it? How effective was it?
    Cheers, Martyn S.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Only local recovery (max 50 miles I think) but you will get help. Dont think it will repatriate you but cant be sure, been a while since I looked at it..check the small print t&cs

3. I have not used it in anger but I believe they will repatriate you and bike if it cant be fixed in 36 hours. I think this expires 24 months after first registration though.

4. Take out extra warranty from Ducati as a second hand bike sale, I did.

5. Cheers Willy but I did buy the bike new so the extra warranty won't be needed.

6. My mate used it and it was pants. 12 hours it took them to recover him 100 miles to home, what with the various fuck ups they made. In the UK. Bike was only seven days old from a UK dealer. Fuglystrada too.

Try GEM or even Green Flag. AA probably most efficient for foreign travel, bigger network.

7. I have been wondering the same, nice question.
    I am waiting for delivery of my GT an also heading for Italy, Slovinia etc this Summer. I have not been able to find out how good the Asssist would be.

regards Tuck

8. And let's hope you don't have to.

9. Would any of you know, if it will be transferred to a second, third, fourth owner, if the bike is still within warranty?
    If yes - how do you get it arranged, if you've bought the beauty second hand from an official Duc-dealer?

10. I asked my dealer the same question, and was told (as it states in the text) its breakdown cover only - so dont have an accident and they didn`t think repatriation is there either. I would recommend getting proper euro cover unless you can get a definitive statement.

11. So long as the bike is under two years I think you can get Assist card, I did and it was arranged through the dealer i baught off after a bit of chasing up. Iff you read about Assist card on the Ducati websight it indicates this.

12. All well and good, but in reality my mate found it to be a shambles, even here in the UK. AA European cover on a one off basis is best. Used them for many years when I had my camper, only used the full cover once and it was comprehensive to say the least.

Breakdown cover (callout) is all well and good, but suppose they can't fix it roadside (hotel costs won't be paid I guess) or without a part from Ducati? Remember how long that supply chain can be. Repatriation is the big expense for the individual.

#12 supervee, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  13. I really wouldn't risk it, get AA cover or similar.

I'm sure there was a previous thread where a guy got a puncture abroad and had real issues,,,

14. Just as a postscript to this thread, bit late i know,

ducati assist tried to stuff me in france with a broken radiator (warranty repair) stranded at side of road, agreed to take me to a dealer , dealer has 2 days to fix or say they cannot, then asked for repatriation as am entitled to in my assist contract.
    they said they would take the broken and immobile bike to Calais and i would have to get it home to london, i threatened with solicitor and rang ducati in italy, 5 days later bike on way to uk, also ducati pickup from french dealer left my key on the wall outside the shop, they found it 2 days later when i rang asking where it was.

nightmare, i will never rely on non aa or rac etc european assist again.

15. who actually came out to recover you?

Will the AA be any better? I know in UK the AA have their own fleet of trucks but in France, the AA will likely subcontract to the same people Ducati use?

#15 DonaldDuc, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. That's always going to be the problem but with the AA or RAC you've probably got a slightly better chance of them listening if you complain. I was recovered in early February this year on the Rotterdam ring road and the recovery driver just took me off the motorway to a service station and said he'd done his bit and if I wanted to go to the Hoek of Holland it'd cost me just 250 Euro in cash. This was after the AA had promised I'd go straight to the ferry and they'd sort the bike out in Harwich so another phone call eventually saw the driver return but by then it was too late to catch my planned ferry.

The AA were fine to deal with and got things moving quickly but the local recovery guys (I ended up with the bike on 3 different trucks in less than 24 hours) were rubbish.

17. with me it was just the flat refusal by ducati assist to do any of the things they are contracted to do, they should also have paid for accommodation and repatriation for me, but i let them get away with it as i was just so glad to get the bike back .

18. A very timely thread as I leave for France on my 4 week old 1200 s T this Friday. I've been trying to find out how effective Ducati Assist is, and what you're actually entitled to, without much luck. I think I'll have to fork out for AA cover just for peice of mind. I've used AA for years but only claimed once (car), about 20 years ago, and they were brilliant.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information