Ebay - Credit Card Payment - Scam?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Robarano, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have something for sale on eBay for a couple of thousand pounds.

I get an e-mail from someone asking if I'll take a credit card payment for it, although it is something you would want to view before buying. I decline and say that I'm not set up to take card payments, but will take a bank transfer.

Now I thought it was a con and as expected, I got no reply. What's the scam here?

2. No scam, they just don't have the cash and wanted to use a c/card to spread the cost.
    Bank transfer means they have to have the cash now, or cash advance from the c/card which will be at a higher rate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sounds a bit odd to me, you can use a credit card to pay for stuff via PayPal, no need to ask the seller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You can but they might not be aware.

5. Or they may be using stolen card

6. I wouldn't have taken PayPal as a payment anyway, I've had too many experiences with people claiming they have received things that were not working or broken in the post and had the funds returned to them. I insure everything fully these days, but it's a pain in the backside. Plus this is too big to post and would have to be collected.

It was just directly asking me to take a credit card payment, which made me think. When I said I would take a bank transfer, I heard nothing It just seemed strange and seemed to confirm my suspicion.

7. IMO, you have avoided an attempt to defraud you. My recent experience with credit card fraud was an eye opener on what people get away with. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cash on collection only is my policy of choice! or paypal but get them to pay the 4% fees.The problem with PP transaction and posting it out is that the buyer can then open up a case against you & get a full refund....so CASH only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cockfish

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. They may feel they'd have some comeback if things go wrong. Can't see why they couldn't use PayPal though, unless you're don't accept it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information