Emission Regulations For Motorbikes - Carbon Monoxide

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by oldtech, Jun 6, 2023.

1. I was reading a post from @Guillaume69 about carb tuning and it got me thinking ,
    and I started searching .

Do any such emissions regulations actually exist for bikes ?

Not according to this -
    https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing
    " The only vehicles that do not have an emissions test as part of the MOT are:
    vehicles with fewer than 4 wheels "
    ..... plus a few other categories

I had a look for similar info related to cars , and didn't really find much useful stuff
    https://yourcar.co.uk/how-to-reduce-car-emissions/

Can anyone knowledgeable chip in here ?

2. There are currently no emissions regulations for motorcycles, at least not for used ones although under Euro 5 I expect that at least they must have a minimum standard for new ones.
    Since current VED for cars is based on their emissions but bikes aren't explains why you can tax a car with a 1 litre engine for £20 or less but a but a bike that uses a similar amount of fuel, takes up less than a 1/4 of the road space, weighs a fraction and consequently causes next no wear to the roads and reduces congestion considerably is now paying well over £100! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Actually, Ducati started to care about emissions when Euro norms got introduced (Euro1: Jan 1st 1993 to Jul 1st 1996).

My 94-95 748/916 worshop manual explains that due to « international anti-pollution standards » street bikes idling mixture was tuned lean at the factory (1,5%CO). Optimal setting actually being between 4% and 6%. Every bike I plugged my AFR gauge to (1996 916 biposto, 1996 916 SP3 and 2004 998 Matrix) came out between 1% and 2% CO. Each time I aimed at 5% and gained in both throttle response and mileage. No surprise.

59279463-F0C1-4131-8E07-20C70DB4A729.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. Are you suggesting that HMGovPLC treats motorcyclists unfairly ?
    What a shocking notion !

I'm speechless !
    ....almost..... :eek:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. You can take a motorcycle into the Bristol clean air zone with no charge, exempt

• Like Like x 1
  6. ...and we can use (almost) all the bus lanes too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. What I said above. So why isn't bike tax based on emissions?

8. Be careful what you wish for! If the system is changed to an emissions based one, you can bet it will not be a revenue-neutral change!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. All the garages which offer bike MOTs would have to buy exhaust gas analysers, like all car MOT places do.

It'll come, just you wait. Then all the de-catted bikes will be in difficulty.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information