Engine chokes and judders around 5 thou revs

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Meachim, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hi guys, not sure if anyone can help. I have just brought a beautiful 748 which rides like a dream until it reaches about 5000 revs. It then chokes as if there is a loss of power,on and off. I can accelerate through it and its fine but when im cruising at about 65/70mph i cant avoid it.

A friend suggested it might be the shims but i wondered what you guys thought?

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. I had a 748 a few years ago and there was a regular occurence of the fuel filter clogging up. This can be found by removing the fuel pump which is inside the fuel tank. Run the tank fairly low on fuel and then once the bike is nice and cool remove the tank. If you now stand it on the front you can remove the fuel pump/filter without fuel pouring out. If I remember correctly it's not a bad idea to buy a new sealing O-ring at the same time as the filter. Having said that I've just reread your post and notice that you say you can ride through the problem so this might be a complete load of tosh as far as helping you! :rolleyes: If you do go this route it's also worth checking the air filters as quite a few flies etc get sucked into them. Both jobs worth doing if the bike is new to you, it won't cost a fortune for a fuel filter and you get to have a fiddle with your bike!

My thought on it being the shims is that I would think, personally, that this would affect in a more overall way than just at certain revs. Old plugs/plug leads could also give similar problems. If you don't like taking it apart yourself find a good local dealer. Forza Italia at Silverstone are very good with Ducati's and Baines Racing are there as well, also good with Ducatis.

Hope that helps, even if only a bit! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the advice loveit, Will definitely give this a go, cant resist a fiddle! I have just had new air filters on her but haven't checked the state of the oil filter so worth a shot.

If all else fails ill ride her down to Forza and get them to take a look.

Cheers mate

4. had this with an rc30 only at about 8k revs, it would eventually drive through it and you would have sworn it was fuel. changed plugs and ht leads etc and sorted the prob.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information