Eurocrats - would you be bothered?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ruffs, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Nice article by Rupert Paul in Bike Magazine. June ed. Raises the alarm on a proposed raft of legislation from EU that includes reclassification of licensing cats for bikes, prohibitions affecting one's right to modify the power train and suspension of your machine. Looks like this will slip through, for no particularly good reason, before we know it. BMF are fighting it, no-one else (officials that is) seems to give a toss.
    Would this bother you? Does me !!!!
    The increasing use of noise testing might make us less keen on "noisy" exhaust systems ?;-(.
    Would you miss your right to modify very much? Would you still ride?

2. The impression I get from the MAG activists e-mails from Paddy Tyson is that at least some British MEPs are sympathetic to the biker cause, once the implications of the proposed Euro legislation are pointed out, the current Roads Minister rides a Ducati and is also sympathetic. MAG as well as the BMF are fighting these proposals hard, and have organised a number of meetings where bikers have lobbied MEPs.

Have to say it makes a nice change that the mainstream bike press is (finally) picking up on the legislative threats to our lifestyle, and the existence of the riders rights movement, although some would say they should have done so a good 20-30 years ago!

MrsC_772 (MAG and BMF member)

3. The biggest problem is that the MEP's don't know what they're voting for or against. The finer points of the proposals have not been finalised, yet the MEP's are expected to vote before we know exactly what the proposals are. It's downright crooked.

Just think how many companies will be affected if these anti-tampering laws come into effect, and how many riders will find themselves uninsured simply because they don't understand the rules. So don't just sit there, start lobbying your MEP.

4. Hi Mrs C.
    MCN has had a lot to say about this over the last year. We do get the occasional glimpse of the odd MP who "bikes". They don't seem to do much, I guess they have other pressing issues, including survival and the economy to focus on.(Please correct me if I am being unfair on this).
    Paddy Tyson and MAG are very vocal on this issue, and I joined MAG when I realised what was planned.
    Rupert has included in the mag' a cut out letter of petition relating to this legislation, that I will use.
    There are so many reasons why this should be opposed.
    Steve

5. Agree Figaro.
    If this was happening such that it would affect cars, and car driving enthusiasts, there'd be rioting?

6. Anyone that rides should get involved with this and write to your MP's and MEP's, these interfering buffoons have no idea what this means for the motorcycle industry, Europe is in the grip of the worst economical crisis for decades and this new proposed legistlation will create many more job losses with after market manufacturers going out of business creating a knock on effect for the whole motorcyle industry like we have never seen before, if you are passionate about your bikes and biking then do something about it! I have.
    If you sit and do nothing you can't complain after, we all have a common interest to stop this Euro madness.

7. There is a letter that spells out the complaint in this months Bike mag, you just need to put your name address on sign it and send it to your European MEP and I bet you like me have no idea who that is: ridersarevoters.org to find out. I will try to scan it in and post

Do Not Sell My Personal Information