Eurotunnel With Motorbike In Van?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Guizado, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Hello guys,

does anyone have any experience in carrying their Road legal motorbike in a van through Eurotunnel after brexit? Do i need a Carnet? What about a Chock? Can I just strap it without a wheel chock? Im the owner and registered keeper in case that makes a difference.

Thanks

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Not done a trip post Brexit but I’ve asked the same questions as you. I was told the bike should be displaying number plates and you should be in possession of your log book (V5). You shouldn’t need a carnet.

Use a front wheel dock. It’ll help stability hugely.

3. Been bunch of times through tunnel and ferry to France, Germany etc. No problems at all don't need anything. We always take copy v5 and think had to get it out once. Just strap it down as best you can and go :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Is that with your track bike loaded into a van??

5. Road bikes. dont do touring, so we stick them in the van and head for the empty, great condition roads and hoon around there:upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. In spite of a frenzy of Carnet hysteria it turns out private punters with a bike(s) in a van can cross the water, do a track day(s) and come home without the costs and paperwork suggested on here a few years ago.
    This photo shows me on my way to Bilbao by ferry in my motorhome/race van with two registered track bikes. I had the number plates made up and hung them off the subframes with lock wire. I had accompanying V5s.
    I disembarked and joined the customs inspection queue. All vehicles were checked. In my case V5s were matched to the bike, a quick look inside the living area and adios.
    There was even more scrutiny at Portsmouth as they searched my wine/spirits/fags stash.
    So no Carnet needed.
    I do use a really good chock (will get you a photo) that secures the bike, but also lateral straps that don't suppress the suspension.

AAFC6391-8E7A-4794-9F0F-4BA27043D0D8_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Beautiful. No further questions, m’lud.

8. This is what I’m hearing from friends who’ve been too and from

• Like Like x 1
  9. Really useful info. So if a track bike, make sure it’s V5 registered and no issues. Another reason not to buy some old hacker without a v5 ;)

10. :):)
    You don’t need Eurotunnel for Wales bud, enjoy your hooning.

Wheel chick essential

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Does she need paying and does she do other duties?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Thanks everyone that answered so far, another question i forgot to ask,
    If there is a van with 2 bikes, and one of the owners is driving in a seperate car right behind me is there a problem?

13. Nope shouldn't be. We went through tunnel this summer with 3 bikes and 2 of us in van. 3rd owner won the draw and flew out and met us there. Not one question from customs or anyone :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks this really helps, last thing I want is to get stuck at the Customs.

15. @t3scn has recent experience too, maybe he can add info alongside Paul55

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. He gave us a letter of permission/authority (for what it's worth) but no one asked for anything

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Everything that’s a she needs paying in cash, blood, sweat or tears, without the paying there are no other duties. :confused:

18. As @Paul55 has demonstrated it’s completely legitimate and doable to travel without a carnet.

My experience has been a little more complicated as I have been carrying multiple bikes, a lot of kit (enough for a race weekend) and on a couple of occasions the bikes did not have a V5 or road registered.

In this situation I have purchased a carnet to be on the safe side, and until earlier this year I’d say it was needed. However, in Sept this year I took three bikes and a trailer full of equipment for 3 days in Brno.

We traveled through the Chunnel, in all honesty I could have gone through without the Carnet. It was only my insistence and checking that ensured it was used correctly.

In my view if you are taking a bike or two and have the V5, do what Paul55 did and you’ll be fine.

If it’s more complicated then, you should be fine if you can demonstrate it’s not commercial use. If you do want to go down the carnet route, Boomerang Carnets are excellent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Oh, if you want more info on how to use the Carnet drop me a message. It’s quite a convoluted process and not easy to navigate at Folkestone or Calais - I learnt from experience :joy:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information