Exhaust Size 748

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony 748, May 19, 2014.

1. Got a quick question, I'm looking for a set of cans for my 748. Every set I see on here or fleebay is 45mm or 50mm, I put my verniors on the diameter of my standard cans where it fits to the link pipes/headers and it's showing 48mm external??? Any ideas people or is it the internal diameter of the can pipe that is meant to be 45mm (I haven't removed the standard ones yep to check)

Thank you Tony

2. Its deffo 45mm. Think the pipe where they join obviously the pipe is bigger one (ie that fits over the main pipe)....

3. Yeah, 45mm and there was a 50mm system, worth noting that of your measuring on the two pipes by the foot rest they have a weird double skin or expansion but they should go back to 45mm. Are u measuring ID or OD as I'm not sure which Ducati do.

4. Measure the OD at a point where it is straight. Standard is 45mm, 50mm are fairly common and they do go bigger but bigger isn't always better and you can lose power by going too big, unless the engine is tuned in some way - 45mm is probably best for a 748.

5. I was always told when I had mine that 45mm was optimum for a standard bike, and 50mm was good but really the engine needed some decent EEPROM work to get the most out of them, the bigger ones really are the domain of the 996/998 as far as I am concerned.

6. 45mm is fine for a 748, it has been proven\said that they need nothing bigger. A larger engine 916 onwards might well benefit from a bigger exhaust.

Big does not necessarily make the bike better or quicker throughout the whole rev range. Driveability counts as well.

7. Exhausts are always quoted in internal diameters (ID) so normally 45mm and 50mm.

If you measure the outside you're adding the thickness of the metal tube (twice!) so a 48mm measurement is a 45mm ID system with a 1.5mm thick wall.

The power will only be as good as the tune, not just a bolt-on exhaust. Brad the Bike Boy shows some interesting results on his website comparing different 748s, varying from 89 to 99bhp: BikeBoy.org - Ducati 748 STRADA

He also has a comparison page on 45/50mm on the 748
    BikeBoy.org - Ducati 45 AND 50MM CROSS OVER COMPARISON

8. 45mm standard.

50mm for termis with the 50/45mm crossover piece.

You will likely also need an eprom upgrade.

9. Thanks guy's for the help now does anyone have any for sale? Lol

10. I've a pair of standard (barely used) silencers from a 748 if they'd suit?

11. I'm after a pair of race pipes buddy

12. you after a full system or slip ons?

13. Got a pair of standard s/h carbon Termi's (45) silencers and open to offers

14. Slip ons buddy.
    Chris I'll pm you

Do Not Sell My Personal Information