Feels like wheel spin!!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by dean230276, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ive got a 2004 999, not had it out for a couple of weeks, but at the weekend i noticed that when i accelerated it felt as though the back wheel was just wheel spinning. I'm afraid i dont know much about bikes, just know how to ride them. Ive been told by one person that this could be a clutch problem, but if anybody else has had this problem, any help would be appreciated.:smile:

2. Iff the revs increase without the normal acceleration it is most likely the clutch slipping.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds like clutch slip - the bike revs increase without any increase in speed? Possible knackered friction plates... an easy fix though, 20 minute job! :upyeah:

4. Does that mean a new set of plates and springs then? Thanks

5. Usually the plates but you will know better upon inspection.

6. Thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated.:upyeah:

7. Sounds like the same problem I had, which I fixed with a couple of new plates. I didn't replace the whole lot, just bought some different thickness plates and made sure that the combined pack was the correct thickness. I think that added together they need to be 32mm (but I'm not 100% sure). Got it fixed for about £10 and half an hour in the garage. My local dealer wanted about £400 for it!

8. +1

Easy job! Remove the old plates with one of the extendable magnet sticks, rebuild with new plates - game on!

9. While we are on the subject can someone explain to me why most sellers only sell friction and steel plates as a pack? I do not need another set of steel plates. I have one in SS, one in monster and 1.5 just spread around the garage.

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you get wheel-spin/slip then it drives forward ok it could be a slow
    to return clutch push rod it could be gummed up with crud.

brian

11. Have a look on eBay, there's a guy in Holland who sells individual plates of different thicknesses. I got a 2mm plate off him a while back to sort my clutch slip.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information