Nightshift Finish Corrosion - A Warranty Issue?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by ST4VROS, Mar 16, 2023.

1. My Nightshift has some corrosion on the silver (brushed chrome maybe?), and I’m wondering if it can go in as a warrant claim?

7.5k on the clock, 21 plate. Was ex demo before I got her a year ago (I’ve done about 5k on her).

Opinions would be hugely appreciated, as the 2 year standard warranty is coming to and end soon.

4CF4CDF2-605A-4658-ABA8-AB40651B5BEC.jpeg

2. Who did you buy the bike from ? Andy

3. Blade Ducati, Abingdon

4. Looking at the fasteners and gear lever, I'd guess that it's been cleaned with alkaline cleaners? Muc off or TFR for instance. They wreck the plating and polished alloy.
    You'd have to get it to your dealer and let them process the claim. Personally, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I use the Muc Off bike cleaning kit.

That is absolutely criminal that they sell stuff as a bike specific cleaning product that can do that to the finish.

Looks like a claim is out the window. Any ideas if I can repair it or touch it up?

6. Using a pre wash, a snow foam and an automotive shampoo to clean your bike might seem a bit poncie but it minimises the risk of the damage you have experienced. There are a few horror stories on this forum about the use of caustic cleaners like Muckoff. IMO, the simplest way forward is to fit replacement parts. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yep. I hate the stuff and it's an often awkward conversation with customers who believe they're looking after their bike. The pH is around 10 or 11... caustic is 11 as a guide.
    There used to a "dwell time" mentioned in the small print of "no longer than 30 seconds". It can happen that quickly.
    TFR does the same thing... look at the brake calipers and discs on cars that frequent the handy wash car washes... lots of corrosion present. It's what wrecks the chains to.
    Ironically, the chemicals that were used to plate stuff in the "old days" are no longer allowed, and the new coatings can't hold up against the harsh alkaline cleaners that have flooded the market.
    Any cleaners you consider should be Ph neutral to ensure your doing the right thing by your bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Cant really tell how bad it is but you could try something like Autosol on it or maybe very carefully mask it off and spray it silver.

Personally I'd take it off and get it coated all black :)

9. You could try and bring it back with very fine wet and dry and Autosol on the ‘bare’ bits.

I only clean down my fairy liquid then hose it down straight away. Then let it air dry then give it a once over with Paraffin.

10. I"d personally steer clear of fairy liquid or any other washing up liquid for that matter. Though they are PH neutral, they contain small amounts of bleach and ammonia which affects the paintwork, removing any wax or sealant on the surface if present and will dull and tarnish your finish over time. As Android mentioned to the OP, some of the seemingly ponsy products on the market are specifically designed for the job and way kinder.

#10 Topolino, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  11. I'd probably remove the cover and as others have said and try and sort it yourself. Maybe mask off the surrounding areas and machine polish the exposed aluminium. Then clear coat it for protection. Any half decent paintshop could do that for you for a small fee and it will be arguably better than the microscopic layer of paint the factory will have originally applied.

12. Thanks for your reply, I have Android on ignore so don’t read his post’s so can’t comment. I generally don’t keep motorcycles long enough to worry about how cleaning products will affect the various surface coating’s. Admittedly I do clean after every ride, but I do wash and rinse off immediately. It’s been many years since I visited the Triumph factory for a tour but they advised never Fairy Liquid as it was a Salt based product, how true that was/is I’ve no idea.

I never buy any of the boutique products although that may change now I own a MV which I hope my Son will ride once he passes his bike test.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information