First Ducati Advice 899 Or 959 Panigale?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Stu__grant, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, I'm also still pretty new to motorcycles. Ive been riding for a year and a half on a BMW R1200 GS.

The BMW is a very capable bike but I almost feel a bit disconnected from the experience. I really fancy trying something exciting and would be interested to know how people get on with the 899 & 959 Panigale's?

Is it too much bike after a year and half of riding?

What are they like to live with?

Any expensive problems to be aware of?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Also interested to hear from anyone thinking about selling either of these bikes when we get out of lockdown.

Hope you're all staying safe and well.

Cheers

Stu

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome Stu - plenty on here have owned both so you should get opinions between the two. If you feel confident enough then no issue jumping onto one of these, the throttle goes both ways :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I had an 899 for a little while and did a fair few miles on it.

never skipped a beat.

The 899 and 959 are very similar bikes.

4. Hey Stu!

Welcome.....

My first Ducati was 899 Panigale, i loved the design and purchased the bike solely on its looks.

I came from Jap bikes so it took some time to get used to the Ducati V-Twin etc but what a machine they are. Low down torque is good but when you really open it up it gets going very quickly.

things to consider with the 899:

It has no laquer on the paint & i had a few issues with marks & spots that needed wet sanding & machine polishing.

They get very hot because of the exhaust under the tail unit, horrible when stationary.

The riding position is quite heavy on the wrists.

Its a small bike, im 5.11 so not bad for me but if your taller you might want to consider this.

This bike is made for the twisties, around town riding isn't great.

I had mine for a year and to be honest the only reason i let it go was......i rode my pals Hypermotard 939 and went straight to the dealer and purchased there only one in shop with 1000 miles on it.

Ive had Many bikes, R6, GSXR K8 1000, ZX6R, CBR, Z1000 etc & i can say HANDS DOWN the Hypermotard 939 is the most fun & best bike ive EVER ridden...

So basically get a Hypermotard!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Welcome Student Grant. o_O

You'll be fine on either bike. A 1200GS is hardly a beginner bike.

Whatever you get, avoid the horrid looking side exhausts imo. :confused: Tin hat on. :bucktooth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. This was mine, Termis, Tail Tidy, seat cowl & few carbon bits.

17CB2A5A-BED8-45EA-9F5A-07ACC4600543.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome to the Forum Stu:upyeah:

The only way to get acquainted with either is to sit on them and ride them. Lockdown won’t be with us for ever so you’ll be able to that soon enough. You’ll find though there’s a big difference in riding position between the BMW you have and the bikes in consideration. If you will only ever have the one bike then look very closely at when and what you use the bike for, if you plan on having 2 or more bikes then you can have different bikes for different days:)

8. Hello Stu,

Welcome in to the fold, shortly. You will feel much more connected to the Panigale, especially the rear cylinder as you will basically be sitting on it with a short, stiff subframe delivering every pluse. Its not quite as bad as it sounds...I find it rather enjoyable on my 1199! Seriously though, it is a great bike to own 899 or 959 with the addition of the Showa BPF forks. Much better than the Marzocchi's on a base 1199 like mine. Love it and polish it, and most importantly, ride it!

9. Out of all my bikes the 899 is the longest bike i've ever owned and currently have no plans to sell. I've never had any problems with it apart from i have the upgraded screen which in direct sun light likes to try and melt the dash so bare that in mind. I'm 6ft 2 and find it reasonably comfortable for a sports bike.

my bike.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. You need to ride one first - the little lady has a 959 very light and easy to ride - as @Exige say throttle goes both ways. But I also have friends that have got on a sports bike and hated it, so go for a ride on one of them at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Welcome Dave.

I've had both. They are very similar bikes but if you can afford the 959 go for that as if has more bling. But you must change the cans. I had an Austin Racing can fitted and it looked and sounded the bollocks :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. This. If you can get a ride, try one. It’s as different as you can get from the GS.

between the, both, always worth buying the latest of anything you can. If you have budget for decent 959 take that imo. 899 owners still think their bikes are worth a mint (lol) but prices are dropping and hopefully becoming more realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The 959 is the easier day to day I think due to a much lighter clutch, and slightly wider fairing and screen arrangement, other than that, very little in it! The 959 has a slipper clutch but unlikely to benefit people who aren’t going on track, unless you are pushing on, on the road.

It’s so close though between the bikes I wouldn’t pay a premium for an average 959 over a mint 899, and honestly some prefer the 899. I think the 1199/899 may be the prettiest of all of them

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. I say 959 - but I would - as I have one to sell - so I’m completely biased. :innocent:

That being said I liked it that much I bought another - which is currently in my lounge being turned into a track bike.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hi & welcome.
    959. Exhausts as said.
    :upyeah:

16. Thanks guys,

I live in Devon and there are some great roads around here, I just want something more exciting to ride them on!

I’m looking forward to being released from lockdown and getting out and try some bikes.

I just love the look of the Panigale.

The 899 seems to have done most of their depreciating and represent the best value but there don’t seem to be loads for sale. Maybe that will change when Corona virus restrictions are lifted.

Let me know if you hear of any coming up for sale!

17. Went from 848 Evo to a 959. Never rode an 899. Absolutely loved the 848 Evo but the 959 is a better bike. Cracking bit of kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. After a flat twin a V/L-twin will feel relatable. They're a lot nicer and more characterful to ride than an inline 4. I have a GS and have experienced some Ducatis too... they co-exist happily in my world. :)

A GS takes some beating though... ;)

19. I had an 899 got 7k miles.

Loved it.

Only specs I missed from the 959 was the slipper clutch. But it was a sacrifice worth making for the 899’s under belly cans.

I had a few electrical gremlins due to all year/weather riding but nothing expensive and easy to fix and well documented.

Would have one again in a heartbeat but prob not as my only bike.

20. 899’s are already turning and starting to appreciate, the 959 is sort of stained by the situation with the stock pipes which is a shame because it has other good upgrades like dual injectors per cylinder for nicer fuel metering. You can also fairly easily put the 1299 or US spec 959 underbelly pipes on, or find one with Akrapovic shotgun pipes and you are golden

Do Not Sell My Personal Information