First Ducati After A Long Break From Riding

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by spooky, Sep 8, 2022.

1. I'm a Brit but recently moved out to Prague (hopefully it's ok to join).

The roads here are so much better than the UK and looking at the lovely sweeping bends I found myself wanting to get back on a bike after a break of around 25 years. My last bike was a new Yamaha FZR600R, which I used to have a lot of fun on.

I went to the local Ducati dealer to enquire about a Panigale and was told that I'd be waiting until at least winter and possibly next year. The dealership owner then told me that they had just taken a bike off the delivery trailer out the back and it was available if I was interested, so I went round the back and there in it's crate was a SP2. I thought it would be rude to not take the opportunity to get one of these and so I now have my first Ducati!

I had fallen in love with them way back when the 916 came out and always wanted one. I've added Evotech radiator guards and tail tidy, SP Connect for the phone with a charger, the Ducati carbon rear mudguard and Rizoma Stealth mirrors and indicators (although I'm not 100% sold on them and considering trying DB Race Daemon mirrors. That's pretty much all it needs. I'll probably remove the reflectors... Oh, and I changed the gear change to 'race' style (first at the top) as it feels far more natural to me that way.

C2844219-499A-4464-9BFB-E4F42F6F8EE8.JPG IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3731.jpg IMG_3734.jpg IMG_3738.jpg IMG_3749.jpg IMG_3753.jpg

It's almost run in now and I'm looking forward to finding out what the rest of the rev range is like and moving on from the Street setting. Most race circuit is only one hour away and I'll be taking it there once I feel sufficiently confident, although it was surprising how quickly I got some confidence and the bike is incredibly easy to ride, turns like a much smaller bike and is incredibly stable in the bends.

Love it!

#1 spooky, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 22
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Welcome to the forum.:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enjoy :upyeah: looks very nice.
    You have plenty of nice roads/tracks there to enjoy.
    Might also consider Pannonia Ring in Hungary.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You missed my rubbish bin picture newbie

welcome into our mad house :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jeez, :eek:, that’s some bike to buy after such a long lay off, good for you:upyeah:, enjoy.

Nice Porsche in the garage too:upyeah:

and a beautiful dog :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dammit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I thought I would ease back into it…

The car is an old 964 with some mods. It’s a lot slower than the modern ones but much more fun to drive on the road.

My dog thinks the mat on the floor is for her…

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Welcome. Nice bike. I think the reflectors on the sides are required if you want to ride legally in the EU.

9. Yes they are... :innocent:

10. Now THAT’S how you get back into biking! :upyeah::punch:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. It was a bit of a shock when I first opened the throttle up and that's on the lower output setting and keeping it below 6,000rpm while running the engine in. I'm mildly terrified of what's to come but can't wait! It was pure luck chancing upon the bike at the dealer and I'm very glad I said 'f*** it' and went for it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Breaking yourself back in gently I see :laughing:

love it

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Very naughty looking, plus that 964 wearing fuchs wheels.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome and enjoy!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. heh ! Way to go.

Love the Porsche...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Very nice, welcome and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks. I think they go well together - similar colours!

52E03A87-0F2B-4FF6-96F8-A794E595BB63.jpeg 8EEDA90E-3AD5-4157-ACA7-CE36884765E7.jpeg 94577C7E-E429-4BA6-A518-833A25ECD76F.jpeg

The bike looks bigger than the car in that picture – there’s not much in it!

#17 spooky, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I emigrated to CZ in 2005 and lived there until 2018. Did not have a single bike in that time, because driving around (especially Prague) I saw many different 'standards' of driving, and frankly it scared the **** out of me. It wasn't until I got used to the driving culture and strange things (like indicating to go around bends!) I started to think about a bike. But by that time, I knew I was heading back to the UK. One thing - the roads here are shocking, I agree with you that the majority of Czech roads are much better. Puts the UK Road Agency to shame.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Red lights are simply advisory and tailgating and undertaking are common practice. You need to have your wits about you!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information