France, Spain - May 2024 (part 1)

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Mattie821, Jun 2, 2024.

1. Two week trip down to Spain to see the MotoGP Catalunya - a week to get there and a week to get back. Starting point the ferry terminal at St Malo.

Reasonable first day of about 350 miles, mostly Peage autoroutes, to Mimizan Plage on the French Atlantic coast - huge beaches popular with surfers and packed out in summer. Not so busy in late May with a prime spot hotel booked only the day before arrival.

upload_2024-6-2_11-54-57.png

Left the motorway system and crossed the Pyrenees at the Somport crossing going over the top rather than through the tunnel. Probably the nicest crossing I can remember, as there was still lots of snow on the mountains and the valley in spring bloom.

upload_2024-6-2_12-1-52.png

View from the Somport crossing (1640 metres)

upload_2024-6-2_12-4-41.png

Not sure of what mileage I was going to do, allow time to for picture taking and taking time to enjoy the sights, so did not bother booking a hotel for the night.

Got to Spain and had issues with phone network being very slow. Figured to get away from the mountains for a better phone signal, but no joy. Still no hotel booked. Pulled into to a big roadside hotel getting as it was getting late - they said they were full. Explained my issues of connecting my phone, and could not book anything - they found a "spare room" !! after all !!A lovely big room and downstairs restaurant. Must have said Gracias to the lady a hundred times.:)

Through Madrid and on to Toledo, as much for where it is in La Mancha as for being a historically beautiful city in its own right. Decision time - whether to scrap the idea of the MotoGP and tour La Mancha instead - decided on going to see the GP. So headed back on the back roads through Avila Segovia, Soria. The high plain was still a bit chilly ( low as 11 Centigrade) - altitude signs of +1,000 metres so not surprising a bit chilly.

Central Spain still with some green wheat fields and red poppies. Much longer and everything turns brown. It was nice to see Spain with some colour.

Toledo

upload_2024-6-2_12-32-27.png

Central plateau - some greenery, before everything turns brown in the summer heat.

upload_2024-6-2_12-34-16.png

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information