1100 Front Brake - Long Travel?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by spenny_b, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Evening folks,

Quick question; something I’ve noticed on my 1100 is that the front brake lever has a fair bit of travel, feeling quite soft…certainly not as sharp as the GS, nor even the 748R. Stopping power is good, no issue there, just that the travel has caused me to have one or two squeaky bum moments around the lanes (surprising how much pace you pick up on this thing, despite keeping it below 6k for running in)

Away from home at the moment so I can’t actually have a go at bleeding them, but it’s kind of what it feels like. It’s in for the running-in service on Saturday, so I may ask them to check it over depending on what consensus on here indicates….is this usual, being just down to the m/c size? Or should they feel a tad sharper? (Of course, tricky to articulate without me measuring the level travel)

Thoughts welcome!
    Cheers
    S

2. I think you know the gut-feel answer, as you've ridden bikes before;)
    It could be new brakes bedding in, so it's definitely something that your first service should deal with FOC if they're not feeling spot on by 600mls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ok thanks both, appreciate the thoughts. Just perusing the back catalogue of threads here, I did see somebody posting a similar question but for an 800 Scrambler…maybe it’s a case of “TADTS”…will ask the guys on Saturday and report back. ;)

4. Both my Panigales had softer lever feels than any other bike I have owned. Still stop well though.

5. My 1100 - had lots of lever travel.

It was much worse the first time I used it after storage for a few months last year - it had had its annual service including BF change and got brought home - then put away for a few months.

Got it out to ride and NO front brake at all - straight to the bars - few pumps later OK - but decided to blead it before going for a ride that resolved the issue.

I changed the Break Pads also to sintered pads to help stopping power.

6. Thanks Jack/Simon, appreciate your experience. Well having had the running in service done yesterday, i did ask them to look at the brake lever travel. They reported back saying they've bleed them but no air came out. So i guess what I'm feeling is indeed normal. Like you guys though, they stop well enough

Cheers
    Spencer

7. If it’s adjustable, wind it right out and see how that is. If it’s not adjustable, get a new lever that is and wind it right out.

All modern Ducatis I’ve owned are the same: soft feel when wound in, hard when wound out. So I run in for road (and fits my hand span) and right out track

Do Not Sell My Personal Information