959 Front Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by damodici, Oct 8, 2016.

1. I just wondered whether anybody else found the brakes a little lacking on the 959 and whether a simple pad swap would fix it?

or are we looking at steel lines, master cylinders etc?

Don't get me wrong they stop the bike, just no where near as quickly or reassuringly as the brakes on the beemers I've had recently

2. I'm not impressed with the brakes either

Turning abs down to 1 and bleeding the brakes improves things.

I was thinking of changing the pads too but not sure which ones to try

3. I just ordered some SBS 900RS pads to try. Hopefully add a bit more feel and initial bite to the brakes

• Like Like x 1
  4. The bike I tried yesterday was near enough brand new, only about 200 miles on so it could have been a factor.

The only real gripes I had were

Brakes:

seemed to take a long stopping distance compared to what I'm used to

Off throttle / engine braking:

I rode the bike in sport (middle of the 3 settings?) and although I can't remember what abs was set at , I definitely noticed the engine braking was at 1.

Bike felt fine at high speed , but coming up to roundabouts and dropping down a cog or two seemed to really unsettle it just before tipping in, nothing I couldn't ride around but it was more noticeable

Now I did ask the manager when I returned the bike if those settings could be altered and he seemed to suggest not. Then I did some digging online and found out you can, with 1 being the most severe braking and 3 being the least engine braking. Is that right?

Standard exhausts :

Old ground but solutions a plenty with Sc project at the top of my list currently

Other than that I really enjoyed it again, I'm just surprised how roomy it feels after a short while even though I'm 6ft 3

5. You'll have to let me know how you get on, cheers

6. All the settings can be changed and you will find reduced ABS, TC and EBC make a huge diffence to the bike.

7. Have these on my 899,i felt it was a great improvement for very little money,the only problem i felt was the initial bite on the standard pads,sbs sorted that out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thats good to hear.

I can only presume they had the bike on standard 'Sport settings' yesterday or maybe some designed to be kinder whilst in break in period.

I guess if you turn the engine brake assist up it'll soften the off throttle surge, and then lower the ABS so that the run on isn't as long it'd have been a different experience.

Really do like them though so just getting things in place

9. problem with the brakes:confused:,it stops on a sixpence,biggest issue i have is preventing my humerus mashing into my scapula
    [i googled the bone names]

• Funny Funny x 2

10. The higher the EBC number the less engine braking you get so makes on off throttle transitions smoother and allows the bike to run on a bit

Reducing the ABS gets rid of the combined braking - which I absolutely hated the feeling of.

11. +1 for the above
    Also they have braided lines as standard just not race setup i.e. each caliper has its own line direct from the master cylinder.

12. Do you think splitting the lines from the master cylinder would improve things or would it also likely require a new cylinder?

13. I've fitted m4 calipers, Rcz brembo master cylinder and floating 330mm brembo discs and it's just about right now, pads made very little difference, the master cylinder made the single biggest difference

14. I was concerned about changing the master cylinder due to the abs. Didn't want to upset it.

A brembo MC was the standard mod on all my jap bikes cos the nissin ones are terrible

#14 flatstick959, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  15. How much was the master cylinder and would that work inline with the standard set up?

Id be very reluctant to buy a brand new bike and then immediately have to replace the discs, pads and calipers as I'm sure the whole lot cost you a decent amount

16. I got it from carbon conquest, I think it was £230 and had Moorespeed racing fit it as it was abit fiddly to fit

17. As others have mentioned, a lot better feeling can be gained from backing the ABS right back. I tried a trackday in 3, then 2, and each had the bike running on without obvious abs interference. Yet things improved significantly when I dropped it back down to 1. So try that first.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ok so I just got gp4rx brakes it’s made from one piece of aluminum mate, that makes it stiffer its the lowest level of the real brake upgrade. So as to say its track ready dissipates heat no fade, it’s the real brakes minimum you need. To be real chaps. The other shet is cast, it’s shet so I have to put them on, I want an upgraded Brembo corse Corta rr master cylinder but one piece at a time the brakes are shet!!! I agree….you have to be careful not to buy fake brembos!!! Ugh I will post new gp4rx front brake upgrade…*sic actually here is a pic in the box

image.jpg

IMG_0144.jpeg

20. It’s 100 mm the distance for 959 I have to work out if I need spacers….I will post a pic of the bike….full race akro…upgraded Hopkins bla bla bla when I get them on boys kk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information