Front Sprocket Plate Alignment Question

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Humbug, Mar 21, 2024.

1. OK, so I found the front sprocket retaining plate on the floor of my garage a couple days ago. I rarely use the bike, and had the c+s changed 500-1000 miles ago at an independent.

Mostly cos I don’t own a chain breaker. I enjoy tinkering.

No sign of the bolts.

The issue I’ve got is the the bolt holes don’t line up with the retaining plate.

I’m really scratching my head here as I have no idea how this happened.

I guess the bike is unrideable?

Also, what the heck do the (missing) bolts attach to on the other side of the sprocket, and what function do they have? Pics hopefully below.

2. The plate goes into the groove in the shaft and rotates slightly, so the holes align. Your sprocket just needs brought out slightly.

Hope this makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Humbug
    The retaining plate fits in the slot on the output shaft and rotates half a spline to allow the retaining bolts to be fitted.
    This will pull the drive sprocket towards the spline slot and secure it. On your photo its looks like the chain run not correctly aligned at the moment. When you fit replacement bolts a SMALL amount of light grade lock tight is recommended
    When fitted the sprocket will have a small amount of lateral movement and the retaining plate is regarded as sacrificial
    Hope this helps you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Slide the sprocket a bit more outward until the retaining plate is in the groove where you can rotate it to align the holes.
    The bolts attach the retaining plate to the sprocket.
    Dirk

IMG_20210909_213007.jpg

5. I would also add that with the Ducati retainer plate system, your sprocket should look like this (with two specific screw-in holes for the retaining plate bolts): 35D35717-9639-47EE-91E3-AE1E19361D1A.jpeg

And not like that…
    36E08EB5-0AA5-4892-A174-6774132E7D7C.jpeg

6. You are saying this is only 500-1000 miles old?

IMG_0742.jpeg

7. advice as above Humbug (apart from #7). No full conclusion drawn but if the "independent" was the last one to touch the two fixing screws on that front sprocket, then i wouldn't be going back there.

8. Does this mean that the OP's sprocket is fitted the wrong way round, as there's no raised plate boss? Time for a workshop manual pic I think....

9. Flat side facing out. But there has to be two specific holes for the retainer plate bolts.

37D38FE5-B52E-43E6-8A3D-61A666E768DB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Here, on my 1989 SS. Same retainer concept.
    7AECC72D-0BCE-40A5-8BBE-7FE9E8E4C8B4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Humbug,

I think the sprocket needs pulling forward so the plate lines up with the groove in the shaft, then the plate needs to be rotated so the tangs in the plate are captivated by the spine on the shaft, this should then line the holes up. Oh and loctite or wire. edit. as mentioned does not look like a 1000 mile sprocket.

upload_2024-3-22_10-2-8.png

Cheers Gaz

#12 gaz92, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  12. Did this indi fit a full Chain and sprocket set or just the chain?

If so he has your missing bolts….

If I need to split a chain for replacement I just angle grind through a link.

Fast forward to 2:40 this shows you how the front drive sprocket should be fitted.

#13 DucatiScud, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  13. looks like the final drive sprocket was stored separately to the chain.;)

14. you know, sometimes things just gotta rust. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Actually looks like only the chain was changed…

16. No 7 says were the sprockets changed? What kind of quality of workmanship was done with all the rust and crud?
    Let alone bits missing and the poor chain alignment!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Love you Andy.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Haha, this has been a fun thread, mostly at my expense.

To answer some questions:

-I have a mini grinder that I could probably remove the chain with. It's refitting it, where the investment to buy a heavy duty chain riveter with the attachment for a Tsubaki square type rivet, wasn't worth it, so I just gave it to my bike shop. Wish I hadn't!

-The chain has been on there since November '22 and about 600 or 700 miles. Yes, I need to use my bikes more. The old Honda Bros is my usual go-to bike.

-I supplied the front sprocket; I'll count teeth, but I think it got fitted. I went 14>15T, and up 2T on the back. So if it's 14T, I'll be a bit peeved.

-I need to pull the front sprocket right out to check it's the correct type, so I guess it's slacking the chain right off to do so.

-I'm off to buy some nuts and a new plate in a bit.

Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Humbug,
    There is a "Recent Post" regarding chain riveters I picked one up similar to the DID chain riveter for about £40. This was to flare the hollow pins in the joining link, not sure what you mean about a square type rivet.
    Hope your sorted

Cheers Gaz

Do Not Sell My Personal Information