Fuel Gauge - Slow to respond?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Multi Jon, Oct 5, 2012.

1. How quickly does your fuel gauge show full after filling up? First noticed this the other day: I filled up with just 23 miles indicating on the range display. On riding away the figure had increased to 36 miles, and the fuel gauge showed two bars. After a few miles the range had increased to 130 something, with the gauge showing nearly full. It probably took 20 minutes for the gauge and the range display to realise the tank was full. It's been the same on all but one time I filled up since. I'm guessing there's a sender unit problem?

According to the dealer "They are all like that. You wouldn't believe the number of owners who think this is a problem". Funnily enough, "no, I wouldn't"!

Anyone else?

2. mines OK, are you powering the dash completely off before filling up, then letting it do the full cycle on powering up again before starting?

3. Yes it's definitely powered off. I usually switch off, get off, gloves off, then fish about in my pockets for the key for the petrol cap :rolleyes:.
    Pretty sure the power on cycle has completed before I start up. Would this affect the fuel gauge then? If so, could I "force" the gauge to read incorrectly by pushing the start button too early?

4. It concerned me for a while, but I've grown to accept it, as I think it is inherent, especially after the fuel warning light comes on.
    Treat it as a seven day wonder! Fill up and forget it :smile:

5. Mine is exactly the same. There are a couple of threads on this subject. I wouldn't worry about it, atleast the mpg l/100 is pretty accurate. Still one of the better fuel gauges I have had. It might be related to how it evens out fluctuation that will occur in a motorcycle tank when riding. Maybe there are diffrences between various software revisions that displays the current level.

I have the keyless fillercap, so I know I'm powering off completely, otherwise it won't open. :) I think it's a myth that power off the dash has anything to do with it. I've also tried alternating between having it on the centerstand, and using the sidestand, but have been unable to notice any diffrence. Maybe try having it stand on the centerstand for 20 min without driving it, just after refueling? There are all sorts of Voodoo you can try. :) The other option is just to ignore it, and enjoy the bike, I have chosen that option, and it hasn't let me down for 2 years now.

6. They all do that, guess the system needs to figure out fuel level plus consumption over x time/miles to give any kind of accurate reading. Sometimes though it's been instant but most it takes a few miles to get up to speed.

7. Thanks for the replies. Sorry to ask something that has been discussed before - I did a search but didn't find them
    The range figures I mentioned was just as an indication of the fuel level it thinks it has. It looks like that was calculating correctly, and pretty instantly. My concern was the fuel gauge telling me somewhere over £20 of petrol had evaporated in the time it had taken me to pay for it! :eek:
    I have since found out the sender unit uses a thermistor, not a float like older bikes. It works by temperature and some dark art to calculate fuel level. It means there's no sticking float. It is also is likely this magical component is influenced by ambient temperature. I guess that reduces accuracy til the voodoo kicks in?

8. If i remember rightly, there is an entry in the user manual regarding the reaction of the fuel gauge. I will take a butchers tonight and update you.

9. Mine did the same thing and the sender unit was replaced under warranty. It now reacts straight away so in my mind the sender unit is the problem. Ducati Leeds did it without argument. Said it was a common problem and didn't try and fob me off. Tried to fob me off with the rear brake though but I stuck to my guns and they bloody well did it. Still shite !!!!!

10. It's normally back up within 5 miles, but in the bad old days I could run through half a tank before the gauge figured out what was going on.

11. Isn't this something to do with how full you fill the tank and the gubbins inside it that works out the level? My dealer told me to leave a small gap between the top of the fuel and the bottom of the fill hole tube. The easiest way I've found to do this is to brim it only once while it's on the side stand. If you then put it on the centre stand, you can see the gap it leaves. Of course, this does mean you have to get your next fuel slightly sooner.

12. Not that I've noticed - all the cases of this I'm aware of were down to faulty senders. I'm on my 3rd or 4th, I lose track, but it's been fine for 18 months now.

13. +1

14. Manual says quote "IMPORTANT. If the vehicle enters the reserve status and the light has turned on, it is recommended to turn the vehicle off when refuelling (key off) If fuel is added without turning it off (key on and engine off) the data update may not be immediate."

15. No problem with mine, always switch off with the sliding switch and return it to the up position, put on side stand and fill up until the hose clicks off.

Ride away and within a few seconds I have full range and all bars solid.

16. +1 It is a common one. Having filled the tank up, I then know it's full and am not worried that it sometimes takes a few miles to show full.

The fuel gauge and "miles left" is really accurate so that's the part I really value. Doesn't seem a problem in my book though so not going to make a Warranty claim while it's doing the important job.

17. hi multi jon mines a 10 plate & had to have a new sender fitted to mine was doing same & got worse till it didnt read at all beleave later ones modified hope this helps

18. Likewise on my 2012PP.

19. Just back my from first trip away with my Multi, fuel gauge showed 3 bars (i.e. about 1/3rd full) so I thought I would fill up before leaving on what knew was going to be a 100+ mile ride. Filled the bike up and to my surprise it took only 8 litres! Drove off all bars showing, 40 miles or so later fuel gauge showing half a tank left!

Checked the fuel range on the trip computer and it showed 170 miles! Any ideas as to why the gauge is dropping so quick? Am I missing something here that i should be aware of? Less than 40 miles and half a tank showing as being used but clearly is not half full based on what it would take to fill her back up?

Dave

#19 MultiJSY, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  20. Faulty fuel sensor, a not uncommon fault with these bikes. Will be replaced under warranty if you complain.
    Search on here and Sucati.ms, there's quite a few complaints.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information