Fuel Gauge Went A Bit 'ducati' Today

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Michael748, Jun 1, 2021.

1. I took the Supersport out for the first run in ages this morning - lovely weather for it.

I knew there was petrol in it and the gauge agreed, showing half full. A few miles up the road it flashed empty at me. And I don't mean just low, I've never seen this empty warning before as I've never dared ride it that low.

Assuming an electronic glitch I stopped and turned off the ignition and back on again but it still showed empty. Physically checking the tank showed there was petrol.

Filled up and it only took eight litres to the brim so it was indeed half full all along. At least now the gauge is showing full.

Anyone ever had similar? Is it an ECU wobbly or is the sender playing silly bu44ers?

At least I've had years of experience driving Italian cars with malfunctioning petrol gauges, I'm used to filling up by the odometer.

2. You can buy a brand new Ducati straight outta a showroom and they still do that when the mood takes. Ducati and fuel gauges are very uneasy bed fellows :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I had this happen today also for the first time. Half tank, stopped for lunch restarted and after a mile or so showing completely empty, then full, empty etc. Filled up near home ready for next time so will what happens.

4. I had to have a new sender fitted at this years service, my gauge went all over the place

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes, I guess this is what I will need to do. It can wait until the spring though.

6. What’s a fuel gauge? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. This isn’t confined to Ducati or just Italian vehicles, however their fuel gauges are known to lie.

You’re relying on quite a primitive measuring method.

8. “They all do that, sir”

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Thread resurrection:
    Two years' later I bit the bullet and had a new one installed today.
    What finally pushed me into action was a Continental ride last month with some mates. Living without a fuel gauge wasn't a major problem, none of my previous bikes had one, but when you change the Supersport's dash from miles to kilometres it resets the trip counter. At one point when we were checking with each other for a fuel stop I had to admit I had no clucking idea since my trip counter had been re-zeroed. I decided it was time to fix this.

I had a good hunt on the interweb and found an Aussie forum talking about a technical service bulletin to replace pinched wiring below the tank. Ducati London knew nothing about such a bulletin but admitted four models are scourged with this problem. They replace them regularly.

The part is £85 (inc VAT). It's working now. Who knows for how long.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information