916 Fuel Pump Assembly Oring

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by RC1, Jul 5, 2024.

1. filter in my 1994 916 last changed in 2006. changed it last night and also replaced the viton oring. both parts from ducati (incidentally the filter is mahle with no ducati branding whereas the old one was also mahle co branded ducati)

oring doesnt seem to be happy - i did lightly lube but with white grease (was that bad?). fuel still seeping out. i have nipped up the three bolts as much as i can without risking thread stripping. what do i do
    1. remove and refit lube with silicone or lm grease. should i have used red grease?
    2. remove and replace with new oring and refit

the assembly went home fine and im sure the oring is not pinched but ill know for sure when i remove

2. This is the big green ‘O’ ring ? Notorious bitch of a job, often taking a couple of goes to get it to seat. Definitely not white grease, use red rubber grease. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You do have the 'O' ring on top of the flange and not around it I assume?

Like this;

[​IMG]

Use longer bolts/nuts to seat it squarely before fitting the retaining bolts, I've always used a light smear of vaseline ;) and never had a leak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. yes its correctlyok good tip re vaseline ill give it a go
    i think the white grease was the issue as it offers little lube

5. well bugger me
    the new one is split and the old one is too saggy
    new on needs to be ordered why are they so expensive

6. Don't buy them from Ducati.
    This is the size. It doesn't have to be Viton either. Nitrile is perfectly save for fuel.
    Simply bearings sell them. £8 for 10 in Nitrile or £23 for 10 in Viton
    • O ring 117.07mm ID x 3.53mm

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
  7. Indeed, I bought a job lot of Viton rings for mine from an industrial supplier a few years back, there was a minimum order amount of £10 (for free shipping) and IIRC they were just under £1 each so I ended up with 12 - at my age and given the rate I change them, that should be a 'lifetime' supply for me... upload_2024-7-5_15-38-52.gif :joy:

To add, they've gone up in price somewhat, must be all the interest from Ducati buyers.

Here's where I got mine; https://www.polymax.co.uk/o-ring-117-07mm-id-x-3-53mm-cs-fkm-viton-75-sha

8. that shop is amazing. the way they offer postage options ive never seen that

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don't throw the old one away, it'll shrink back by the next filter change and should fit just fine. Been alternating them for years now with no problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. You got there in the end I see. Excellent

11. Not sure about the Nitrile? I bought Viton as they are definitely fuel resistant.

A while back the fuel cap on my Guzzi was leaking when the fuel slops around and the old gasket was super thin. No longer available for a 45yr old bike, I bought a sheet of, so-called, fuel resistant rubber (think it was nitrile/buna?) to make a new one from but the first time I stopped for fuel it had turned to snot.

Bought a sheet of Viton to make another and it's still good many years later.

12. It's not the petrol that's the problem, more like all the other crap and additives they put in fuel to "help save the planet".

13. "I have nipped up the three bolts as much as i can without risking thread stripping."

The torque spec for those bolts is only 9Nm. That's not much to get things where they need to be. Your aim is to just gently squish the gasket for a good seal.

I think the key is equal turns on the longer, "counter" bolts as you pull things in nice and square. From memory, 3 turns move to the next bolt.

14. I’ve also found that putting a smear of red rubber grease around the lip of the tank helps. Both contact surfaces are lined up then.
    I also lube the underside of the tank at the front of the tank where it touches the airbox seal. Goes in easier and helps to a certain degree stopping crap getting in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. well thats all sorted. got the orings the next day and lubed tank lip and ring (ello) with vaseline and nipped up the bolts and no drips. good intel re torque spec thanks
    thanks all

• Like Like x 2
  16. The bolts have a shoulder that sits on the tank so, no regardless of how much you tighten them they're not clamping the 'O' ring any harder - just enough to not come undone and you're good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information