998 Fuel Sender Nut

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ibgarrow, Jun 24, 2024.

1. The 998 arrived last week, and I’m not taxing it until July, so it’s been in my new Asgard shed. But I had to investigate the stink of petrol, lifted the tank to find a) the drain hoses weren’t connected and b) the leak was from the fuel sender. I know that the nut can crack and wondered whether there was a better replacement. (Ducati only supply the entire unit at c. £140)
    Also, when ‘investigating’, I found that the sender wiring insulation was cracked, exposing the copper cores!
    Presumably I can disconnect the pins from the plug and slip over some shrink wrap? C488AD94-2883-41E0-9DD3-7AD01CC25911.jpeg

E0533A97-8BD1-48C9-AD69-50BDCB1AB66A.jpeg

2. Thanks. No. 3 is out of stock, annoyingly, as the other two are from the US and will take more time.
    I’ll await the decision of the ‘warranty’ company to see if they’ll cough up.

3. Is it a ‘fuel pump out’ job to replace the entire fuel sensor?

4. Yes but that's a straightforward job and you can change the filter at the same time.

5. Bu&&er. I hate doing that, as I always have trouble with the pump seal! Heigh-Ho.

6. Corsasbk have ceased selling them. Shame

7. As the dealer will cover the cost, and as I have to pull the pump, I may as well replace the sender unit completely, to deal with the poor wiring. I’ll probably upgrade the nut, and the QR connectors too. More £ on its way out!

8. Actually, thinking about it, it may not need the pump out? as the one in the Monster which IIRC is the same part screws into the tank and there is no removable plate (you have to go through the filler opening for filter changes) but there is a connector from it inside the tank to the pump.

Either way, if it were mine and I didn't know how 'fresh' the filter was, I'd be removing it all.

9. I bought my last one for 15€ with free delivery on AliExpress...

Voila £11 inc delivery :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Done, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. You can put the money saved towards buying my slipper clutch...;)

12. That’s gonna take some time!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Started the fuel pump refresh today by pulling the pump unit. I am right, no? The pump O-ring goes IN the recess, not at the top under the flange?
    5292FD5F-6A7A-4D1F-9979-42A82C0DFDA0.jpeg

14. …and the plastic QR fittings are b.. tight. Any clues how to extract them to replace with metal ones?

15. In the recess.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Given the state of the O-ring and the poor condition of the wiring, I’m less impressed with the previous owner/servicer

17. Don’t forget to clean the filter under the fuel pump too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Any hints on how to unscrew the female QR plastic fittings? Mine only have two flats, and the top is too large to get a socket over…

19. They usually snap off when you try to remove them. The left over thread can be quite easily removed when heated up to the point when the plastic goes soft.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information