1200 Gear Selection Issue

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Shovelhandz, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Hi All finally picked up the multistrada today - love it ! Wonderful machine!

Riding around this evening pulled up to a stop junction dropped it down into first and thought I had first went to move off and no gear selected, dash showed first I did have my moulded plugs in so I don't hear everything that goes on. A little later heading down a hill in third knocked it up a cog into fourth and found myself free wheeling ? Once again dash showed 4th and a kick on the gear lever found it. Am I just not being forceful enough with the gears or do they take a little time to bed in? Or is this an issue that needs addressing with the dealer ? Bike now has 60miles on the clock.
    Thanks all
    Cheers

2. When I bought my Mutley it went in for its first service and I spoke to the mechanic about having problems selecting gears occasionally. He advised that the gear level was probably positioned incorrectly and adjusted it - nearly 2 years later I haven't missed a gear since.

3. Thanks Mark I thought I was being a bit dumb, especially going up the box as I couldn't figure out how it was in a neutral no mans land gear. I will take to the dealer in the morning Im very fortunate aylesbury ducati is 10 minutes away.
    Cheers

4. my guess would be gear lever position and/or operator error, i.e. you have to give it a good hard BOSH! lol

5. I shall give it a good bosh tomorrow..

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Had the same problem with mine, just fixed it myself by being heavier on kicking it into gears and no problems since at all. Think its a bit more "agricultural" than my previous Jap bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sometimes a change in boots can bring this on! Larger mcycle boots with a big/high toe no issue, change into shoes/ ankle boots and suddenly all sorts of issues with gear selection! As long as all the gears are physically there u should be ok!

8. I've moved up from a Triumph Tiger 800 which had a very smooth gearbox which always felt very light under your foot so maybe that's the issue and it's down to me.

9. It is quite crucial to get your gear lever adjusted to suit you and your boots. Very easy to do on the adjustment rod. May take a bit of trial and error to find the sweet spot best for you. However it still does require a good kick even when adjusted correctly. It's never going to be a sweet shift like a jap bike

I've just ordered some parts from factory pro in the states to install on mine to try and improve things further

Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer
    Series and Quality MC performance products

A softer gearshift spring and a hybrid ceramic shift lever kit, a bit of a strip down to install, but nothing I can't do, also a good opportunity to check the gearshift lever and gear drum alignment marks, as apparently they can be slightly out even from the factory!

See here

Sticky gear selector - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Not on a Multistrada I know, but exactly the same set up!

Obviously I wouldn't advise you guys with bikes still under warranty to do this, but I'm now out of warranty and planning to keep my bike a little longer, at least untill the next version multistrada hits the dealers, so I'm going to give this mod a shot.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes, but more so if it's worth it.......

10. How was it today then?

11. Not got parts yet...

12. I meant shovelhandz

13. Bradders - much better today clocked 120 miles lots of gear changes. Had it jump out of first once at a t junction and missed 5th accelerating up through the box. I'm pretty sure its operator error, not being forceful enough.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not had any trouble with this at all....in fact I reckon the box is smoother than my old FZ1 with 30000km on the clock was.

15. None missed today ! Happy days ! Great machine

16. Did 1400 miles in 4 weeks from new before I broke my leg,had a few false neutrals at high speed going up the box into the top gear, very un nerving at the time hoping it's just pilot error and a bit of bedding in required !!!

17. Upper gears need oomph more than lower. If I get them, its normally 4-5-6 area and when i am ready to change, with my foot under the peg, then hit a large bump which lifts it half the way and drops it in a neutral

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The gears on mine are getting worse with age, Difficult to get into neutral these days even with a lot of force..Just goes straight to 1st or 2nd.

19. A sure sign of clutch drag. Try bleeding it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. These Duactis need a positive approach when changing gear up or down, I had issues early doors but now treat every gear chang

Do Not Sell My Personal Information