Got Off My Arse & Started.....guzzi 1100 Sport

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Old Jock, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Well I've lied a bit in the title already, its actually a Magni Sfida 1100, but its based heavily on the Guzzi Sport.

Anyway after a long time when life got in the way I thought I'd start to try and make some progress.

The front wheel going in a milestone as at least its now got 2 wheels and an engine and long road filled with pain and frustration awaits

I am not scared to change some of the rubbish stuff on it, even though it lowers value, I'll be either past caring or pushing up the daisies when it leaves. So value isn't a big issue to me.

Thought somebody might like a wee peek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. :eek: Someone's nicked yer motor and replaced it with a ditch pump ;)

Looks like it will be good, keep us updated :upyeah:.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I know Dave, the power will just about pull the sheets off the bed.

I'll try to post progress from time to time but it will probably be quite slow

Duc engines are beyond my limited intellect and skill set so I'm sticking to "Stone Axe" technology and hoping that I don't mess even that up.

The 1000 pumps out a good deal less than this should, although it'll hardly set yer pants on fire, and I have an absolute hoot when I'm out on that

Moto Guzzi..................Just like Ducati except the bike and rider are both 100lbs heavier

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. While Guzzi's are definitely not my cup of tea it looks like a nice clean build...Jock...was it you that asked me about the motogadget wiring??

5. Thanks @comfysofa

Possibly it was, I installed one into the 1000 I built a while back, may have been about a particular sticking point or general info before I purchased one as cheap they are not, can't quite remember. Now having had one and it running faultlessly if I needed to do a rewire I'd go and buy it or something very similar again. Greatly reduced the rewire task.

Can well understand if you like the clean honed to a razor, Swiss watch approach of Ducati.......................Stone Axe technology may not quite be your thing

I posted up this before somewhere, but here is how it came, the picture flatters to deceive unfortunately. The reality was there was more than a lot of corrosion and chipping on the frame, which had not had chips cleaned and painted.............the result was the powder came off like wallpaper. On top of that just about every dammed faster was frozen, I wore out a couple of chizels (not @chizel I may add) and God knows how many Dremel cutting wheels, slotting and bashing and crying in despair.

[​IMG]

Guzzis funnily enough I can take or leave.........................but Magni's ........................If I was a woman I'd have had his babies

John

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. No - and don't take this the wrong way....as everyone likes their own thing....I don't think ive ever seen a guzzi that ive liked ever....I think the styling is in the dark ages and the motor looks like an anvil. They've never changed anything really, ever...they all look like a varying degree of bad styling. I could totally understand if they had something going for them ie looked awful but went like fuck but they don't even do that! The pic above looks like what the hyabusa looked like on the drawing board...and guzzi said "gee that looks awesome...we'll add our own twist and make it look even worse!"

As I say everyone likes different stuff - if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place...

As I said the build looks clean and well put together so far and that I can appreciate.

With regards to the motogadget stuff we (and I say we, my mate did 90% of it) got the ktm supermoto finished (ive got some tidying up to do) ive got an upgraded stator to fit (that should run my heated grips) and some sensors to fit. We did try to use the MButton (the thing that kinda canbuses all the switchgear wiring into one wire but the ktm's cdi and ignition interfered with it and kept resetting the the clocks....took it out and it was fine after that...

The integrated alarm on the MUnit is brilliant - some hoodie put his hand on it outside the supermarket a while back and it went off....they sure can run with their trousers round their arses cant they!

• Like Like x 1
  7. No offense taken comfy at all & I can't defend them what you say is all true as far as it goes.

I think the styling on both of mine are terrific but I tend to get turned off by plastic crotch rockets, I've got the 1098 and I'm Ok with the styling but would really have preffered a 998. When it comes to it strip all the fairings off any recent Ducati and to my eye they look pretty ugly. I prefer the more honest looks of the components than throwing a couple of plastic sidepanels over them to hide the butt ugly components.

Perhaps I need an eye test?

That said I drool at nearly all Radical's offerings.

The blame for the styling of that particular bike is not Guzzi's fault its all Magni's.

The picture maybe does not give a sense of scale, the bike is low, like Harley low you definitely sit in it, I'm 5'7" and have both feet square on the ground. Put a Busa next to it and the Busa would dwarf it.

Maybe this would be more to your tastes from Magni, then again perhaps not

[​IMG]

Both manufacturers Guzzi/Ducati produce totally different products, although Ducati win hands down in terms of performance and handling, Guzzis going 100k miles without a rebuild are not uncommon and when you need to rebuild a dammed site cheaper and easier. I guess if I could use more than a fraction of the 1098's power I'd maybe think different, but at my age an 80 or so bhp bike that is less inclined to break is preferable to 150+ that will.

But Heh Yeah lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that

John

8. Ooohh - no definitely not my cup of tea!

I do tend to like the "newer stuff" - I confess...love the 1098 though - work of art...

what I don't like - Scrambler, love supermoto's but don't like the CCM's, don't like the style...

But as I say, I really appreciate the quality of work you put into your stuff...definitely...very nice..!

The one thing I will totally admit though is that for whatever reason as nice as bikes look in pics - they always look better in real life...perhaps if I was stood next to the anvil then I might like it a bit more....especially as you say that its low to the ground (something I do like) I had an old GSXR7-11 years ago and you kind of "sat in it" which was really nice - never had a bike since with that kind of positioning....my RSV4 I sit "on top of" as it were....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information