Having second thoughts

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by jcmental, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Over the last few years since the new Multi came out I've been wanting one, it sounds like exactly the sort of bike I'm looking for. a few years ago up until we went our separate ways on an M6 junction, I had an 04 R1 that I modded to almost be like the multi. I raised the front faring fitted bar raisers and wide bars, a set of oxford heated grips I even wired in permanently a tomtom rider and made my own pannier rack and panniers.

So when the multi came out I was very excited.
    Then knowing I'm going to buy a new one in the summer of 2013 I though perhaps I should join a forum and have a read and assess what you guys think of your "state of the art" machines.

I have to say I'm shocked
    The general consensus from what I can tell is their crap. They seem to be constantly in getting something changed or adjusted "under warranty"
    Now I know it's a new machine and your bound to get teething problems but they just don’t seem to be going away, god knows what the new 2013 bike is going to have wrong with it?

Is it just me? am I reading to much into it?

Please guys tell me I'm wrong I dont want to ride a triumph

2. The problem about forums is that the problems get too much airplay, and the good points go unsung.
    I had a BMW S1000RR before I bought my Multi and the forum was full of people kicking off about one thing or another.
    The Multistrada is a brilliant bike. Go for it, you won't regret it, not that Triumphs are bad either!

• Like Like x 1
  3. You're wrong! Remember that the only people (mostly) that write here are those with problems. I am now up to 13 months of ownership and 12000 trouble free miles.

My previous bikes were BMWs and nothing but trouble with oil leaks, corrosion, rear wheel bearing failure (£1000 as it means a new final drive), battery at one year old and stranded twice because it refused to recognise the key chip. My experience was also of unhelpful customer service. I have heard of Triumphs that warp discs and have to pay for replacements even under warranty and of Jap bikes breaking down too. Chances are that all manufactuers use the same electric/electronics suppliers so in the end customer support is important.

My Ducati experience has been good. They took me into the workshop to show me how to adjust the chain, removed a rounded off screw (by me) and emailed me a photo of how to route the breather/drain pipes. All FOC. Everyone at Manchester Sale pleasant and very helpful and the bike is the best I have ever owned.

Go on any forum for any bike and it will be the same - full of moans and problems of the few - don't be put off owning a great bike.

4. I would be buying a 2013 model personally... I rode this years & although an amazing bike with excellent pillion & touring ability - it seems a little too flawed to get my full attention.

I'm wondering why they never realized a basic version without so much electronic hoo-haa on it? If its characterful now what will it be like in 15-20 years time?

"Its just something else to go wrong" :wink:

5. I will give you some comfort despite me being one of regular whingers , My bike has never actually broken down as such and left me stranded , that is what would really be inconvenient and make me really mad , I ve just had endless niggles but I feel its not on for a modern state of the art bike , it should be better, there seems to be plenty of folk that have done pretty decent milages and claiming no probs at all ,
    Ive also noticed from pictures on here and the bikes ive seen out on the road that the vast majority never see any bad weather , mine has seen plenty , the vast majority of my 10 k infact has been in bad weather ! and mud , ice , snow the lot , and I think it has a bearing on my hassles , but this is no excuse especially for a bike thats marketed as a game changing motorcycle with enduro capability

6. But thats what worries me, ok it's never broken down but it sounds to me like even though it hasent you'll just have to make do untill you can get it to a dealers.

Ok First off I live on wet windy island in the northwest just west of the lake district, I will be out in all weathers on my bike, thats one of the reasons I put the multi top of my want list. The R1 was a night mare all winter not having any traction control or Antilock brakes. Why would Ducati bring a bike out with all those extras and then no one ride them in bad weather or off road?

If what your saying is right then I'm even more concernd you know something is'nt right if fair weather riders are having trubble.

#6 jcmental, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  7. The 95% of the bike that is just the best bike that you can own, far outweighs the 5% of niggles, of which most, if not all, have been sorted by Ducati. It is a frustrating brand to deal with but then whats the fun in playing "safe" all the time.

They put their focus into designing fantastic bikes for us to enjoy rather than worry about the "passionate art of dealing with customer aftercare"

My bike has had one error which was only common on 2010 and I have been known to be winging about Ducatis crackpot ways of selling warranties and general communication. That has nothing to do with the bike. THE best two up tourer and single fun bike to own. Buy the warranty when you get the bike. Job done!

#7 stickywicket, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. As previously mentioned on here: forums seem to attract all thats bad, not always all thats good !

I guess everybody who has had a problem shares it on here, on the hope that someone else may have had a similiar experience and have a resolve/solution..?

Forums are good for that !

I for one love my bike, best bike ive ever owned, it makes me grin every time i ride it, and thats got to be a good sign !

9. General consensus is they're crap? I would say it's the opposite and, even with those who have had the misfortune of a 'troublesome' bike, there appears to be a consensus that it's a cracking bike to ride (isn't that why we get them?)?

When I was in the market for the Multi it was the only bike that fired my imagination, got me excited and I wanted it no matter what was being posted. As it turns out the bike has been in once (for anti-freeze change) which let me muck about on a Diavel while I was waiting........:biggrin:

You answered your own question though - don't read too much into it. The bike is a stunner! :upyeah:

Mark H

PS. We're getting quite a collection of 'X-Ray' avatars - I wonder if there's some subliminal message in X-Ray Departments telling us to look to Ducati........:wink:

#9 Mark H, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. The Multistrada is a great bike; comfort, performance, great looking and can carry you and the Mrs accross continents with all the luggage but........ just be sure you really want one especially if like me you have never owned a Ducati before. I had plenty of issues with my 2011 machine and did way to many visits to the dealer to have the thing fixed.
    If you intend to rack miles up on your bike you may want to check out what your machine will be valued at 2 years later out of warranty with say 20000 miles on. I ended up part exing my Multi against a Triumph after the final high speed cut out issue (on the way home from the dealer having another issue fixed!!!!!)

I put 14000 miles up in 18 months, rode in wet and dry and did some light off roading on dirt tracks and when running, I had a fantastic time riding it. It also returned to the dealer about 7 times in that time, locking, re-maps, ECU, back brake 3 times, clutch twice, non starting issues when riden in the rain, remote fob and I could go on. Had my fair share of new bikes over the years and by far this has been the most un-reliable.

11. I suspect that 80% of Multis being sold to first-time Ducati owners may have something to do with the number of negative posts on this site.

12. If you want a reliable bike that needs no attention - basically a mobile washing machine - that you aren't going to love to bits but just expect to "perform": stay with a Honda or equivalent.

Ducati have always been about building bikes by passionate people for passionate people. Their soul has not be engineered out of them and that also means that they have foibles. If you are someone who is going to get upset by foibles and continually decry the amount of money you have spent and still not got perfection: go to another marque.

If you are going to worry about depreciation of your bike and how much it is no longer worth as you rack up the miles: go to another marque. Ducatis and the Ducati mindset are not about maintaining resale value. It's about living in the moment as you have an amazing riding experience.

There is more whinging in the Multistrada section of this forum than any other. Is that because the Mutlitstrada is the most unreliable Ducati? Possibly. But the more likely explanation is that it is a bike that has attracted people outside the normal Ducati customer base. Those people don't like foibles. If you think you are one of them, I'd buy something else.

#12 gliddofglood, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I think you may be onto something there!

An old Suzuki had a gearbox explode and lock up at 90mph, the 996 was prone to issues, the classic Multi had some weaknesses and the new Multi has little niggles and is brilliant :upyeah: I've been case hardened.

14. Naa don't get one.

Get a cheaper, faster, more reliable machine, just remember every time you ride that it's not a Ducati and your compromise was a good idea.

Life's too short...never bloody compromise, the mts is a brilliant machine and we are old enough to know the difference. I m still struggling to even think of a replacement and still spend most weeks thinking about my next upgrade etc...

I like my bikes like my women - high maintenance pain in the arse and work in progress!

Bugs

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes Traction control and antilock brakes if I'd of had either It might not of taken me 2 years to start walking again.

#15 jcmental, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  16. "just remember every time you ride that it's not a Ducati" because the Ducati will be in getting something fixed under warenty?

I want one and I've set my heart on one, so has the wife. I did alot of touring on my R1 granted only in the UK but even so I loved almost every minuet of it.
    But If I'm only going to have that kind of money once in my life time (unless I win the lotto) I want to be sure I'm getting what I pay for and not just an Italian badge on a bike I dernt ride if it rains or if it's cold. O and I'm not one of those riders that stays with the flow of traffic if you know what I meen ;-p

Heres a few pick of my R1 after I changed it abit. and a pick of the Tigrer I test drove/ rode and almost threw my sel off what I grounded the foot rest on my way to Rivi Barn.
    jcbars2 (Custom).jpg jcbars (Custom).jpg back no number (Small).JPG DSC00365 (Small).JPG DSC00308 (Small).JPG

jcbars2 (Custom).jpg

jcbars (Custom).jpg

back no number (Small).JPG

DSC00365 (Small).JPG

DSC00308 (Small).JPG

17. I always has jap sports bikes and bought a MTS and had a few niggles but love the bike, the way it handles, the power, the look, and the almost obnoxious feeling when riding it. As someone said earlier, forums seem to be for moaning on, but I would say if you met someone out on one they would definitely share how good a bike they are.

18. Oi, nowt wrong with Triumphs, and having ridden the Multi and the Explorer I can say there is nothing wrong with the Triumph and reliability will never be an issue.

19. If your work has you on a 3 day week settle for the triumph until things pick up !!:biggrin:

20. My x-Ray avatar is courtesy of a badly placed ladder and the subsequent short and successful flight from A school roof. Poor landing technique resulted in motorcycle life changing injuries. Hence the purchase of a 2010 S-model multistrada.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information