Headlight Bulb

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Steve Paxman, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Had a search for Bulb and nothing came up, so apologies if this is old news. What headlight bulb upgrade has anyone fitted ? Would like a nice white light if possible., Thanks

2. Halogen bulbs have reached the pinnacle of their development for light output, reliability and power consumption. The reflector on the Ducati headlight is computer designed to maximise the beam pattern from the exact location of the filament in the halogen bulb. Put any LED aftermarket bulb in there and the beam pattern is going to be rubbish because no LED bulbs have a 360 degree all round filament, and the positioning is not the same. If the Supersport had the projector type headlights like an ST2/4 then that would be a different matter. Not one single vehicle manufacturer fits an aftermarket LED bulb into a reflector headlight that was designed for a halogen bulb, ask yourself why.
    The next generations in headlight technology are HID xenon and LED. HID xenon needs a large ballast to run, and needs to be in a reflector headlight. It will output about 3 times the light output, measured in lumen, than a halogen will, and is much whiter.
    LED headlights are a complete unit with complex reflector designs.
    Many people will now come along and tell you that they have fitted a LED bulb and it is great, but they don't see themselves driving toward other traffic with so much stray light that they are dazzling others, and a crap beam pattern that would be difficult to ride with on a pitch black road.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. I found and fitted a pair of these. Give a nice White light and a marked improvement on the OEM bulbs

20210824_114131.jpg

4. I've got this:
    [​IMG]
    Much brighter, much whiter, exactly the same pattern as a standard H4. Do check your wiring and connectors though, as they do pull more current and will find any weakness! I'm wondering whether to fit a relay behind the headlamp to take the load off the switch...

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have these LEDs fitted to my Supersport and , despite what Bob T says above, they do provide a very good pattern with a sharp dip cut off. I have had poor results with LEDs into past but these are good with a very bright, very white light.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204426445380

s-l500.jpg
    I also managed to squeeze this H4 LED into my Scrambler and the result is far, far better than the halogen OEM.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information