Heart versus head

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by steveknowles, Aug 29, 2012.

1. I freely admit that I'm a lucky bar steward/spoilt brat/complete twat (thought I'd get such comments in first), however bear with me. I'm fortunate enough to have a D16, a 998R and a V-due currently residing in the garage. Now I've already decided that my love affair with the Bimota is over and as a result I'm in the process of selling it. Now comes the dilemma. Over the past few weeks I've found myself quite fancying a Diavel for those days when I want a more relaxed ride/take the wife out on the back (carbon red to be specific). When I go out for a ride, I find that I mostly tend to pick up the D16 keys, which set me thinking, is it time to also say goodbye to the 998 ?
    So, heart says "no, use the Bimota money towards a Diavel and keep the 998, you'll regret selling what is basically a classic, or at least a classic of the future, and anyway you love it"
    My head says "the D16 and the 998 are too similar in purpose and you almost always favour the D16,which is a shame and proves you don't need the 998, use the 998 to buy the Diavel"
    To add to my turmoil, JHP have a one year old carbon red with lots of goodies added (ones you'd want to add yourself), and whilst it wouldn't be a straight swap money wise, it would be pretty bloody close I reckon, leaving me the Bimota money to spend on new wheels for the D16 and a host of other goodies.
    A nice quandary to be in, but a tough decision none the less.

2. You will feel like a complete twat in a year or so if you part with your 998R for that heap. I wouldnt .

3. Take it you don't like the Diavel ? Have to say I didn't either when I first saw it, but it's starting to grow on me. Gonna see if I can borrow one from my local dealer for the day rather than just a test ride before making any sort of decision

4. I have decided that as of this moment I am a staunch communist and declare that you have too many Ducatis. I decree that you should buy the Diavel, and your 998 be 'redistributed' amongst other members of society (ie - given to me). We shall both then have 2 Ducatis and will both therefore feel more equal within society!

That seem fair enough?

5. Dont like it at all , although I havent ridden one, probably never will . But its down to what you like and want .
    I bought a new pan european a few years ago I rode it home and then once to hexam , 35 miles there and back. I must have pushed it in and out of my garage 1000 times in two years before my next ride , which was back to the dealers , Lost about 4k .

6. If you dont ride the 998 flog it and buy the diavel.
    Dukes are to be ridden even classic ones.
    Keep the d16 as thats got to be a keeper.

7. It's always a bit of a gamble buying bikes, for instance the D16 was a year old with only 600 miles on the clock when I bought it. Original owner lost money, but just didn't get on with it apparently, I however love it. As for the communist approach of redistribution, both my heart and head say NO !!

8. I agree that the D16's a keeper, but I also thought that about the 998 until recently.....DOH !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Is the Diavel a fad you might grow out of?

I think you'll regret selling the 998R if you did...

10. You could always buy a stock 998 and build an R replica, but what would you start with to build a D16 replica..

11. Just keep the D16 and 998 and buy the Drivel. Then sell the Drivel when you've realised you've made a mistake. Then really make a mistake by buying a Multi 1200 afterwards.

Is this an ad for the 998R? If so you'll get TP all goey-eyed!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Damn, you beat me to it. I had to sell my 998R unfortunately, but I miss it. A lot. Heaps.

What a beast it was and the way the front wheel came up coming onto the start finish straight at Jerez ... oooh, I think I'm having a moment!

13. Sorry TP, didn't mean to get you all misty eyed.

14. All good Steve, I'm just jealous. Now that I've rinsed my keyboard with tears ... :wink:

What a dilemma you have. I suspect you already know which way you're going to go but are having misgivings. I've never ridden a D16, so I can't really comment, but I imagine it's NUTS!

15. You sound reasonably well heeled, so just by the Diavel, keep the 998R, and 6 months down the road you WILL know which one is a keeper with the D16. By the way you are indeed a lucky Git :wink:

16. It does seem like the best plan is to sell the Bimota, buy the Diavel and see how it goes having the D16, 998R and the Diavel. You will know the long term answer that you want to go with before too long I'd imagine.

17. If it was me I'd sell the 998 and the V Due and get the Diavel. You can only ride one at a time and the differences between the D16 will be enough to satisfy the urge when you want to have a blast and when you want to cruise. Though I believe the Diavel is good for a blast too :wink:

18. Dont do it, the 998 R is irreplacable (almostish) and a definite investment, Sell the Bimota keep the D16 and buy a Diavel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Having owned a 916 varient and having ridden a Diavel on a couple of occasions can I throw something else into the mix? ... an 851/888
    Seeing as you always pick up the keys for the D16 can I recommend trying an SP model 851/888, I love all Ducatis (including the Diavel) but I found it twitchy on the front (personally!) and a bit of a one trick pony which I personally would get bored of, then there is the depreciation aspect..any Cagiva era Ducati is now on the up, so your money is safe. there is nothing on the road like your D16, and the SP model 851/888's are the same deal,if it was me? keep the R, sell the V due & find yourself a loved SP.... if you havent ridden one, try one.. they are a blast!! ... need any more convincing? ask John Burrows or John Hackett.. (even with the Diavel being in their showroom!) oh and then buy an old monster to take the missus out :smile:

#19 JimmySP3, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Easy, D16+998R+Diavel=Happy

Sell the 998R and you'll regret it.

Matt

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information