749 Heavy Engine Corrosion....opinions ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Kristian Morris, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Hi Guys
    Im in the market for a 749 and 1 has caught my eye, it looks great and everything seems 100% with it apart from the large amount of corrosion on the back of the crank cases,
    what do you all think ? should i avoid it or just buy it and sort it before the summer ?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Kris

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks like its down the left side too. It would have to be cheap for me . To re-paint this much it would have to be an engine out . Either its cheap or leave it .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. What's the rest of the bike like? Just wondering if its indicative of how bikes been looked after. To be fair to the owner the paint is rubbish and it does flake off there a lot.

If everything else is good perhaps you could use it as a bargaining tool? There are touch up paints purpose made for our bikes. If its really bothering you engine out and get it all sorted - but is that good economical sense?
    Me, I think you've answered you own question. You're not happy so find another one that's upto your standard. Thats what i did.

Personally I think it's a great time to buy in winter - you'll have the upper hand and get a bargain and something you are happy with.

4. I think it looks pretty clean and its at 4,350 with 10k on the clocks and FSH....tempting
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. It is a common fault on all 749 & 999 models, if you take the fairings off you will notice it all over the engine cases, underneath too. Not a big deal really, I sorted my 999 out during the winter months, the best way is to completely remove the engine, prep the surfaces, use etch primer and then respray it. I would still buy it as it isn't a sign of owner neglect, it's a manufacturing defect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blimey, do people really still colour in the writing on the tyres!

i remember doing that once in the early nineties.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. My 999 suffered from bad flaking engine paint. So engine out lashings of paint stripper for the stubbon stuff and a repaint. Looked mint till it threw its main bearing's

• Like Like x 1
  8. Price seems a tad keen for base 749 in winter. Id want it to begin with a 3

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Thats what I thought....a 3k starting price would be my target on it, especially as its been for sale since July !

10. I sold my 999 for £3200 to an independant trader recently, it appeared on their website within 2 hours for £4000 (Rite bike), I think a good 749 price is between £3k - £3,5k max.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. They do flake but that's quite bad cp most of that era and it would bug me I must say. I think I'd keep looking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Looks like the fuel line has leaked onto the engine casing, my 996 has the very same damage.

13. yep,, saw that bike when I was looking , but didn't follow up as i wanted an S,, it is a nice looking bike with some nice add ons,, unfortunatlly as said by knowledgeable others, the engine s do tend to flake ( after much searching I managed to get one that hasn't, but it is a bit newer than this one,,),, if it is that bad there then it is prob all down the front under the fairing also,, I expect some care full use of small portable sand blaster may do the trick but I expect it would be a bit of a palaver,, as said, asking too much,, everything else being good then get the price down a chunk and get your self this nice bike ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. blimey !! must be nice to feel so grown up!!:Angelic:

15. Thanks for the input guys, il give the seller a call and hopefully go see it over the weekend, hopefully heel budge on the price

• Like Like x 1
  16. Good people at Carl H - engine casing may be peeling but they will have given the bike a pretty thorough check over. Very knowledgeable and approachable. Worth a look I'd have thought - pricing between you guys. Good luck in your search either way.

17. I haven't seen a one as bad as this . Its as though its been ridden through something corrosive that has set it away . If you look at the swing arm theres signs of paint peeling there too , near the wheel, I would look under that spring cover as well .

18. Battery acid or similar spilt and left?

19. I still think it's a fuel leak from the tank connections dripping down onto the casing and running backwards... It will lift the paint if left

20. Seen this bike for myself at Carl H MCS. To be honest its not the worst case I have seen. Hypermotard engines literally shed paint from the off. No adhesion to the castings at all. IMHO I would negotiate a price with Carl, that included removal of the engine and vapour blasting and a re-paint and re-installation. Mechanically the bike will have been thoroughly checked so you have no worries in that department.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information