Hello From Italy

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by AmalfiCoast_1198s, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Hello all, long time owner and rider of Ducati, logged into this forum (and others) because I'm going touring on my 899 this summer and am checking out luggage options - I think its going to be Kriega...

2. Welcome

Kriega is good and adaptable

Where are you going on your trip?

And welcome from RainycostaSalisbury

3. Hello. I rode my Multistrada from London to Italy last year, including a tour of the Sorrento peninsula and the Amalfi coast while staying at Pompei. Great views, great roads, great climate. I presume you are planning to head north then, not south?

4. Yes, I'm riding north to watch the Monaco Grand Prix at the end of May, its always been my dream to see that race live and I'm finally doing it. Then the following week I'll be riding around Switzerland for a few days and then I'm going to the MotoGP at Mugello which is on the following Sunday after Monaco. Then back down to where I live as I have to get back to work unfortunately. In the intervening week between the two race events I haven't got any solid plans, just want to play it by ear...

5. Welcome Davide :)

6. Hello & welcome

7. Hello and welcome to the forum

Don't forget to give us a write up how well the 899 travels etc

:)

8. Benvenuto!

9. Thank you all, I will let you know how we get on :)

10. Hello! Check out my Italy thread , I did London to Bari/Amalfi Coast and back last year fully Kriega'd up. I think I put a few pictures on there. Kriega sell a specific kit for the Panigale now, my setup was a bit DIY but it did the job.

Stelvio Pass.jpg

tail.JPG

photo 4.PNG

12. Your thread was the reason I joined this site - you can't see the pictures properly on this site unless you register. I was looking for pics of Panigales with Kriega luggage as I was not sure how much of it I could fit on my 899. I can tell you that on all the forums in all the world, there is nobody who has managed to fit that much Kriega on a Panigale (or any Ducati superbike) and still managed to get their knee down!!!!

Did you stiffen up your rear preload at all?

I also nearly fell off my chair reading your thread as one of your pictures you took is really close to where I live in Ravello, and you also posted a photo of your bike parked in a layby after the mountain road out of Ravello that leads down to Naples. I took a photo in exactly the same spot last summer with my Monster (attached).

So on the strength of your 'knee down with 70 litres of Kriega luggage' pic I am definitely buying Kriega, a US 30 + 10 because that's all I'll need for my ten day or so tour. Just waiting for the Panigale specific kit to appear on their website, it shouldn't be long according to Dom at Kriega (who is very helpful).

vcm_s_kf_repr_640x480.jpg

vcm_s_kf_repr_640x480.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Haha that's brilliant to hear. Please tell Dom he still needs to send the replacement straps he promised me! I sent them the pictures for the Kriega site and mentioned that the massive luggage had saved the bike when I did a silly lowside after coming out of the girlfriends Grans house in the mountains near Lake Como, only damage was a couple of straps which were easy enough to tie together for the rest of the trip :)
    The bike is completely stock with no settings changes, I only picked it up the week before going away. I normally ride it in race mode, and switch down to sport when it is raining.

14. Loving the monster. @MissPineapple my other half had a 696 which she loved. I bet it is great fun when the Amalfi roads are quiet.

15. I forwarded this thread to Dom, he'll get the message. The Monster is fun, but I'm sad to say I haven't touched it for the 5 months since I've got hold of the 899!

The roads here are awesome, its like having a racetrack on your doorstep. In winter its always mild and dry and the road is deserted. The Coast road is a nightmare from the end of May until September, but theres plenty of other places to go higher up in the mountains. There is a big group of us with some really nice bikes and we meet up as often as we can. My friend has a Superleggera, there is another guy with a D16, Bimotas, RSV4s plus many 1199s, 1098R, MV F4, RS250s etc... We couldn't care less about cars, bikes are everything down here

16. it wasn't just a 696!!! it was Bikey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the bestest bike in the whole Universe!! now matched by my other bikes which are of course the best bikes ever... ;)

we did have a lot of luggage...

@AmalfiCoast-899- What Royal is not telling you is how the 70+ litres of Kriega luggage meant he parked the bike laid down in the middle of the petrol station flat on the ground ..in slow motion...:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. .....and all I could hear was @MissPineapple giggling in my intercomm as I struggled and failed to keep the bike upright!

18. Giggling??!! I was not giggling!!
    I was laughing so hard I coul not breath not stand up and had tears streaming down my face-

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. be fair, 70 litres is a LOT of luggage for any bike let alone a Panigale, he was very brave to do it.... I'm scared of putting 30 litres on my Panigalina! But I imagine that an ex Royal Marine isn't scared of anything, not least a few bags on the back of a motorbike...

20. I have to be honest and say that apart from the aforementioned putting the bike on the floor whilst pushing it at the service station , I hardly noticed it until later when I removed it and got back the real playful Panigale. I suppose to a certain extent I just got used to it as the Panigale is so light that it just feels like my 2003 R1 when it has 70l of luggage on it haha!
    When I was able to remove it and go for a proper blast the bike felt so good and I did vow never to put so much weight on it again for a long trip! One side bag just had a 5 litre container of petrol in it which was completely un-necessary in hindsight.

#20 Monners, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information